Curry is one of my absolute favorite foods to eat, especially with white rice on the side. My parents are from Bangladesh, so curry is basically streaming through my veins, and I am perfectly okay with that! My parents and I are always creating new curry recipes as well as making old recipes that have been passed down in the family for years. If you are a curry lover, you'll know that curry comes in all different shapes and sizes with a variety of spices as well. And if you are new to the curry family and want to experiment, this easy creamy tomato chicken and potato curry is the perfect recipe to get your foot in the door of the curry world.

Creamy Chicken and Potato Curry with Tomatoes

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 small tomatoes
  • 1 medium potato
  • 1 tablespoon ginger paste
  • 1 teaspoon garlic paste
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cardamom pods
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 6 chicken drumsticks
  • 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Mareesa Ahmad

Dice the onion, tomatoes, potato, and cilantro. Place them in separate bowls and set aside.

Mareesa Ahmad

Make a cut in the thickest part of the drumstick. I do this so that the spices and the sauce can absorb into the flavor of the meat. Nobody needs a chicken drumstick that's tasty on the outside and bland on the inside!
    SpoonTip: If you want extra flavor coverage, make two cuts in the drumstick.

Mareesa Ahmad

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
    SpoonTip: Don't know how to tell if the oil is hot? Place one of the small onion pieces into the oil. If it bubbles and sizzles, your oil is ready. If nothing happens, wait a little longer.

Mareesa Ahmad

Add the tomatoes once the onions begin to brown. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mareesa Ahmad

Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mareesa Ahmad

Add the coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, a pinch of salt and pepper, cardamom pods, and bay leaves. Let the sauce simmer on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    SpoonTip: Break the bay leaves in half and crush the cardamom pods for even more flavor.

Mareesa Ahmad

Add the drumsticks and another pinch of salt and pepper on each drumstick (feel free to add more or less than the suggested amount). Cover with lid and allow to cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mareesa Ahmad

Add the potatoes and the remaining salt and pepper. Cover again and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes and chicken are completely cooked through.
    SpoonTip: Use a fork to test if the potatoes are soft.

Mareesa Ahmad

Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve on top of white rice.

Mareesa Ahmad

This is one of my favorite curry recipes to make because it is so quick and easy. There aren't that many steps in this recipe as compared to other curries. It also only requires one pot for all of the ingredients, which makes the cooking process that much faster. I decided to make this chicken and potato curry because these two ingredients blend so well together. The tomatoes add an extra source of flavor and antioxidants, and create a creamy texture. I hope you enjoy this ethnic dish as much as I do.