Pretzel, honey and peanut butter – the perfect combination of salty, sweet and protein for the hungry athlete. Of course, you don’t have to be working out to enjoy a Luna bar, much less these incredibly easy to make knock-offs. Then again, don’t be fooled by the apparent absence of sugar; honey packs quite a sweet punch, so taking the time to head over to the gym might not be the worst idea. But hey, you do you. Whenever you choose to enjoy these Luna-inspired bars, you’ll be glad you made them.

To make bars even more similar to the original Luna bar, take a look at Katie’s recipe (on which this is based).

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 45*-75 minutes (chill time guesstimate)

Servings: One 9″ square pan (approximately 12 bars)

*Chill bars in the freezer for speedier setting

For the bars:
3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup broken pretzels
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter

For the top layer:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
5 teaspoons peanut butter

Directions
1. Line a 9” square pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine cereal, salt and pretzels in a medium bowl.

SPOON-HMC-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

3. In a separate, large bowl, stir vanilla, honey and peanut butter to create a paste.

SPOON-HMC_4-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir into an evenly-coated mixture.

SPOON-HMC_8-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

5. Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread as flat as possible.

SPOON-HMC_9-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

6. To make top layer, stir together peanut butter and coconut oil to create a thin liquid. If the peanut butter seems too solid and sticky to mix well, microwave it for a couple of seconds beforehand.

SPOON-HMC_10-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

SPOON-HMC_11-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

7. Use spatula to top pan mixture with coating. Refrigerate or freeze until firm enough to cut into bars.

SPOON-HMC_12-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

Itching for more?