There’s no better way to start the day than with a waffle, and there’s no better way to start Valentine’s Day than with a sweet, chocolate covered strawberry waffle. Treat your loved one (or, if you’re like me, yourself) to this romantic surprise, and the rest of your day is destined to play out exactly like a rom-com (I actually cannot make that sort of promise but I promise that you will enjoy your breakfast).

Waffle

Gif courtesy of Bookish Temptations

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: 4

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cups milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup canola oil
1 egg
Red food coloring
5 strawberries
½ cup chocolate chips
¼ cup white chocolate chips

1. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and the milk, oil, vanilla extract and egg in a separate bowl.

2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until the batter is smooth. Add a few drops of red food coloring until the batter is pink or red to your liking.

3. Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and pour the batter onto the waffle iron. Follow the directions on your specific waffle iron to know when the waffle will be ready. I used a heart-shaped waffle iron for added Valentine’s fun.  If you don’t have one of these, you can always just cut the pieces into heart shapes.

Waffle

Photo by Serena Ajbani

4. Cut fresh strawberries and place them on top of the waffle.

Waffle

Photo by Serena Ajbani

5. Melt chocolate chips and white chocolate in separate bowls. Pour the melted chocolate chips over the waffle, and drizzle the white chocolate over it.

Waffle

Photo by Serena Ajbani

6. Garnish with even more strawberries and chocolate. Basically go crazy. Give your Valentine waffle all the love it deserves.

Waffle

Photo by Serena Ajbani

Congratulations, you’ve just created the prettiest, loveliest breakfast. Now go tell your loved one how much you love them in the best way you can—with a waffle.

Want more Valentine’s Day treats? Check these out!