This basic chocolate cake recipe, with its foolproof all-in-one method, can be whipped up in a matter of minutes. You can keep it plain and simple for a sneaky slice of chocolate cake for elevenses, or jazz it up a little with whatever icings, fillings, or decorations you could possibly dream up. 

Using both cocoa powder and melted chocolate, this chocolate cake should be enough to satisfy even the biggest chocoholic. And because it takes so little time and effort, it's a perfect cake to decorate for any occasion. Brownie-like in texture, delightfully versatile, and wonderfully simple, this is a go-to recipe for whenever you're feeling in the mood for chocolate cake.

Basic Chocolate Cake

• 75g melted and cooled dark chocolate
  • 175g self-raising flour sieved
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 175g softened butter
  • 85g cocoa powder sieved
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons boiling water
coffee, chocolate cake, pastry, goody, cream, sweet, candy, cake, chocolate
Kierri Price

Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Put all the ingredients in a bowl, trying not to let the eggs touch any of the warm ingredients (i.e. melted chocolate or boiling water), so they don't cook.

egg, cake, chocolate
    Kierri Price

Mix everything together, either with electric beaters or a wooden spoon. If the batter is looking dry, add more water tablespoon by tablespoon, until it's smooth and creamy.

chocolate cake, cream, cake, chocolate
    Kierri Price

Divide the mixture into two cake tins (I used 8-inch/20-cm ones), and bake for 20-25 minutes.

goody, milk chocolate, coffee, cream, sweet, candy, milk, chocolate
    Kierri Price

Remove from the oven when springy to the touch, and leave to cool in the tins. Feel free to ice and decorate them however you want!

pastry, coffee, milk, goody, candy, cream, cake, sweet, chocolate
    Kierri Price