Welcome to fried rice, makeover edition. I’m tackling everyone’s favorite chicken fried rice, minus the rice. This recipe replaces rice with protein packed quinoa for a refreshing mix up that’ll have you singing praises to the grain gods. Packed with chicken and tons of vegetables and topped with a runny fried egg, this dish is the perfect substantial meal that will satisfy your tummy, taste buds, and conscience.

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

Servings: 6

Fried Rice

Photo by Amanda Shulman

4 cups chicken broth
2 cups quinoa, (rinse your quinoa in cold water before cooking to get rid of bitter bite)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 zucchini, diced
1 onion, diced
1 can sweet peas, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 cup cut broccoli florets
1 cup snap peas

3 tablespoons less sodium soy sauce
Salt
Garlic powder
Olive oil
2 cooked chicken breast, shredded or cut into chunks (we used those of a rotisserie chicken)
Eggs for finish

1. Add the chicken broth and quinoa to a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for about 25 minutes, until all liquid is evaporated and quinoa is fluffy. Fluff with a fork, and keep covered until ready to use.

Fried Rice

Photo by Amanda Shulman

2. While the quinoa is cooking prepare the vegetables. Combine all of them in a large bowl, season with salt, garlic powder and soy sauce, and toss to coat.
3. Coat the bottom of a large saucepan with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Add the vegetables and cook them down until tender and until they have a nice sear, about 15 minutes.
4. Once done, remove the vegetables from the stove and return them to the bowl. Add the chicken.

Fried Rice

Photo by Amanda Shulman

5. Mix all of the veg/chicken into the cooked quinoa. In batches, cook the quinoa in a skillet on the stove to lightly brown/sear it to give it a nice fry texture.
6.Fry an egg, keeping the center intact and runny.

Fried Rice

Photo by Amanda Shulman

7.Spoon the quinoa into bowls and top with the egg. Serve with soy sauce on the side and eat up!

Fried Rice

Photo by Amanda Shulman