Inspired by Goldfish, a childhood favorite of mine, these crackers require only six ingredients. They’re surprisingly quick and easy to make, and also a lot of fun; you can make them into whatever shapes you want. Although there is no bowl or spoon needed for this recipe, you will need a food processor, rolling pin and one or two baking sheets. If you want to make fun shapes, you will need to find some small cookie cutters. I used an owl cookie cutter that was a little less than an inch long. To make the eye shapes, I used the ridges on the eraser end of a brand new (i.e., clean) mechanical pencil.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: Depending on shape of crackers, about 1-2 cups
6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons cold butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Add all ingredients to a food processor, and turn on (not pulse) until the ingredients form a doughy consistency that can easily turn into a ball. This took a little under two minutes for me.
3. Lightly flour a smooth surface, and roll out your dough (also lightly floured on top) until it’s about 1/8 inch thick.
4. Dip your cookie cutter in flour, cut out shapes, and place shapes onto un-greased baking sheet. Leave a little room in between the cracker cut-outs.
5. If making owls– use your mechanical pencil to make light circle indents for eyes. If you want to make your owls look a bit less vacant than mine, consider adding pupils, too!
6. Place crackers in pre-heated oven for about ten minutes– check on them every 90 seconds or so after about 7 minutes are up. When they are just barely starting to turn golden around the edges, they are done.