There is one thing that makes a ray of light come down from the heavens whenever I come home for the holidays. Two words: Abuelita's Champurrado. "Champurrado? What the heck is that?" you may think. Well all you need to know my friends is that Champurrado is a type of thick, chocolatey Mexican drink that is freaking flavorful.

Abuelita's Champurrado

• 2 tablets Nestlé Abuelita authentic mexican hot chocolate
  • Half gallon milk approx. 8 cups
  • 1 can Nestlé Carnation evaporated milk
  • 1 cup masa de maiz corn dough
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 piloncillo cone brown cane sugar
  • 4 cups water divided
  • 10 whole cloves
chocolate, sweet, cinnamon
Katherine Beattie

Place a pot on your stove and turn it onto medium-high. After that, put 1 cup water, 10 cloves, and 3 cinnamon sticks into the pot. Let the cinnamon sticks and cloves brew, changing the water into an umber shade.

vegetable, meat
    Katherine Beattie

Once the cinnamon sticks and cloves brew, add 8 cups of milk and mix it constantly.

#SpoonTip: Do not let the milk stick to the pot. You wouldn't want burnt milk on the sides and bottom of the pot, it would just be a hassle to clean up.

cake
    Katherine Beattie

In another pot, put 1 cup of masa de maiz and 3 cups of water. Mix until it turns into a pancake batter-like consistency.

coffee, sweet, white sauce, dairy product, yogurt, pudding, cream, milk
    Katherine Beattie

Add the 2 chocolate tablets, piloncillo cone, and evaporated milk into the pot with the milk and spices and mix until the chocolate and piloncillo dissolve.

milk, candy, cream, cake, sweet, chocolate
    Katherine Beattie

After everything dissolves and looks fetching, add the masa de maiz mixture into the chocolate pot. Stir for 3 minutes.

pudding, sweet, cream, coffee, chocolate, milk
    Katherine Beattie

Serve the drink hot and enjoy it with your favorite pastries or pan dulce.

hot chocolate, cappuccino, milk, espresso, chocolate, coffee
    Katherine Beattie