Challah is a notoriously difficult bread to make, but it's Rosh Hashanah, and what better time to learn how to make it than the New Year?

This was the first time I have ever tried to make challah, and I ended up with a pretty tasty loaf, and great french toast the next morning. 

Note: This challah recipe was adapted from the one found here. It can make several mini challah rolls, 2 regular challot, or 1 large challah (I of course chose to go with the large one), so feel free to divide the dough as you see fit. 

Challah Bread Recipe

• Prep Time:4 hrs
  • Total Time:4 hrs 45 mins
  • Hard

• 1 1/2 cups water + 1 tbsp water
  • 1 3/4 tsp instant yeast
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 cups flour
Nicolette Cure

Step #1: Pour 1 1/2 cups of warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1 egg, 3 egg yolks, 1/3 cup honey, 2 tbsp vegetable (or canola or avocado) oil, and 2 tsp salt into a bowl and mix.

Nicolette Cure

Step #2: Add 1 3/4 teaspoons of instant yeast and mix.

Nicolette Cure

Step #3: Add the flour and knead with hands.

(make sure to add the flour by half cupfuls, I used 5 cups although this amount should differ from 4 1/2-6 cups).

Nicolette Cure

This is what the dough should start to look like after a few cups of flour...

Nicolette Cure

...and this is what mine looked like after I added all of my flour. (you should keep kneading until it feels smooth and is no longer sticky)

Nicolette Cure

Step #4: First rise!

Remove the dough from the bowl and grease the bowl with oil before placing the dough back in. Meanwhile, boil water on the stove. Once the water is boiled, cover the bow with a damp kitchen towel and place the bowl in the oven (which should NOT be on). Then, place the pot of water underneath the bowl. Let the dough rise for an hour. (The picture below is what my dough looked like after that hour--you can see it has roughly doubled in size).

Nicolette Cure

Step #5: Second rise!

Take the bowl out, bunch the dough down, and place it back in the oven for another hour. (The picture below is what my dough looked like after the second hour--it has again doubled in size).

Nicolette Cure

Step #6: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 3 sections (if making 1 large challah).

Nicolette Cure

Step #7: Knead the dough, and roll it out so it's flat.

Nicolette Cure

Step #8: Roll the dough over itself so it makes a long strand.

Nicolette Cure

Step #9: Repeat 2 more times. 

Taper the ends of each strand of dough.

Nicolette Cure

Step #10: Braid!

This part can be very complicated, so I would recommend looking at videos if you find that you can't figure it out. I made a 3-strand challah, but you can also get more fancy with it!

Nicolette Cure

Step #11: Make the egg wash!

Beat an egg, 1 tbsp cold water, and 1/2 tsp salt together and mix.

Nicolette Cure

Step #12: Brush a layer of the egg wash onto your challah. 

Then, let your challah rise for a third time (for 30 to 45 minutes).

Nicolette Cure

Step #13: Bake!

Heat your oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes. (The picture below is what my challah looked like after 20 minutes--yes it will get huge).

Nicolette Cure

Step #14: Bake again!

After 20 minutes, turn your tray around and bake for another 20 minutes. While it's baking for this last time, you can put foil on your challah to keep it from browning too much once you like the color you see on top.

And here is my completed challah!

Nicolette Cure

It takes a lot of time and care to make challah, but I felt the biggest sense of accomplishment once it was all done. It may never taste exactly like the challah made by the professionals, but this challah recipe is still going to be the hit of your kitchen!