Ready to "chai" a recipe just in time for fall? 

Ellen Gibbs

Before pumpkin spice was all the rage, there was chai — the original flavor of fall. Put side-by-side, they are relatively similar in composition, save for chai typically has more cardamom, anise, cloves and some variations even have a hint of black pepper.

These cookies don't require much fuss, they do however require a blend of chai spices, such as the one used in this, sold under King Arthur Flour. However, you can make your own blend of spices using the proper ratio of ingredients. Allow the dough enough time to freeze, this is crucially important for a puffy, soft cookie that won't fall flat. Crunched for time? This means you can make the dough and bake them at a time that's most convenient for you.

Ellen Gibbs

The secret to soft, chewy cookies that trump put plain sugar cookies to shame, is that cream of tartar. Do not overlook this ingredient, it prevents the cookies from drying out and helps leaven the dough. 

Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks 

Chai Spiced Almond Cookies

• Prep Time:1 min 30 secs
  • Cook Time:9 secs
  • Total Time:1 min 39 secs

• 1 egg
  • 1 stick butter 4 oz
  • 190g brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream tartar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt optional and to taste
  • 180g flour
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp chai spice
Ellen Gibbs

Beat the butter and 190g of brown sugar until smooth.

Ellen Gibbs

Add the egg and almond emulsion to the bowl, mix until combined.

Ellen Gibbs

Finally, stir in the remaining dry ingredients — the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.

Ellen Gibbs

After dough has been in the freezer for at least an hour, form into 1 and 1/2 tbsp balls.

Ellen Gibbs

Roll each ball of dough in brown sugar and chai spice blend.

Ellen Gibbs

Place each ball of dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment, or sprayed with bake-release, making sure there is 2" of separation for each cookie to expand.

Ellen Gibbs

Bake at 350°F for 9 minutes. Let cookies rest for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Ellen Gibbs

Enjoy warm on the side of a chai, or pumpkin spice (we won't judge) latte. Alternatively, these can be stored in an air-tight container for up to a week — if they last that long.