Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese is the newest dish you need to introduce to your dinner rotation! This new take on a comfort food classic is an amazingly simple way to take it to the next level! 

This recipe is a twist on the "Super Mac 'N' Cheese" dish from Mary McCartney's book At My Table, check it out here

Alison Hooper

Craveworthy Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese

• A Box your Favorite Macaroni
  • 1 Head Cauliflower Mary Recommends 1/2 but I prefer a little more!
  • 2 Tablespoons Light Olive Oil or Butter
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 2 1/8 Cup Milk
  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard Experiment with different types if you like!
  • 1 3/4 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
  • Cayenne Pepper to Taste Optional but Recommended!
  • Black Pepper to Taste Optional
  • 2 Tablespoon Grated Parmesan
Alison Hooper

Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. In a medium sauce pan boil water for the macaroni following the instructions on the box. In a smaller sauce pan start boiling water to steam the cauliflower. While you are waiting, cut the cauliflower into small to medium florets.

popcorn, cauliflower, kettle corn, sweet, goody
    Kristine Mahan

Cook the pasta until it is just cooked through and then a minute more, it will not cook much further once you move it into the oven. Drain the noodles and rinse them under cold water to prevent further cooking. Steam the cauliflower for 7 minutes and then rinse it under cold water. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.

cereal, wheat, macaroni, pasta
    Eliza Budd

Heat the butter or oil in a medium to large saucepan then add the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until it is well incorporated and paste like in texture. Remove the base from the stove and add the milk, mixing with a wooden spoon or whisk to prevent lumps. Put sauce back on the heat and bring it to a gentle bubble, stirring consistently until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes.

Alison Hooper

Turn off the heat but continue to stir, as you add the mustard, cheese and either (or both) black pepper and cayenne. When the cheese has melted, add the frozen peas (optional) and gently mix in the pasta and cauliflower making sure everything is coated in the cheese sauce before spooning it into an ovenproof 8x8 inch (or similar) dish.

Alison Hooper

Sprinkle with Parmesan and cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown. Serve and Enjoy!

Alison Hooper

For more yummy alternatives to comfort food classics check out this article on 5 Healthy Versions of Your Favorite Comfort Foods