Casetta Kitchen and Counter, located on West Washington Avenue, celebrates their first anniversary this February. However, despite 365 days of business, most UW Madison students remain in the dark about the miracles this deli makes.

Recently, four Spoon representatives visited Casetta for a taste test and tour. The venue is small yet open and flooded with natural light, giving off a NYC type vibe. The minimalist decor features a white subway tile backdrop with both high and low top wooden tables. Our group sat at a high top and were brought out a list of different sandwiches, plus an original take on the classic hash brown. 

For all those UW students out there searching for a home-cooked meal, here are the tried and true treats at Casetta Kitchen and Counter.

Porchetta

The brunch menu includes a classic B.E.C, hashbrowns, soft scrambled eggs, a frittata, a mortadella sandwich and our favorite- the Porchetta sandwich.

This unique breakfast sandwich features a perfectly fried egg,  juicy pork shoulder, melted provolone, and hot giardiniera, stacked on a fluffy bun. It was truly love at first bite.

Speciality Sandwiches

Casetta's sandwiches are built on a choice of house-made focaccia or a hero sub. You can select anything from a classic Turkey to Veggie to a more sophisticated Capicola. We were lucky enough to sink our teeth into the Turkey, Italian and Hoboken.

Each sandwich had unique flavors, offering something exciting in each bite. The general consensus was that the Italian took first prize. There's truly something for everyone.

Take-Home Dinners

As if indulging in a variety of sandwiches wasn't enough, Casetta sent us with dinners to take home. We were lucky enough to get our hands on the baked ziti. It was super simple to make. All you have to do is turn the oven on to 375° and bake for 30 minutes.

Aside from the baked ziti, the restaurant offers bolognese, mozzarella, chicken parmesan, and more. There's no doubt we will be going back for seconds. Be sure to end your meal with a bang and try one of Casetta's freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

#SpoonWiscoTip: Grab a cookie quick because they are game-changing and sell out fast. 

But wait, there's more...

Feeling boujee? Stop by Casetta Kitchen and Counter on Friday night for a four-course dinner that changes weekly. Plus, if you're over 21, you have the option to do a wine pairing with your meal. 

To see more of their delicious eats, follow Casetta Kitchen and Counter on Instagram, check them out on EatStreet or brave the cold for the whole experience because you won't regret it.