I am one of those people who love to munch on crackers. But when the pure saltiness gets to be too much, I like to reach for the ooey gooey caramel. And what better way to satisfy my cravings than by combining both of those things to make the most delicious, crunchy, sticky treat?

Cracker Candy

• 1 box Saltines or any type salty cracker you want
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup and 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • Handful chocolate chips
  • Handful marshmallows
chocolate, marshmallow, peanut
Debra Paul

Preheat the over to 400° Fahrenheit.

Prep the caramel. Take all the butter and add it to a small pot on medium heat over the stove. Wait until the butter is completely melted and then add the sugar. Simmer until the sugar and the butter combine and take on the color and texture of caramel.

sweet, coffee, cream
    Debra Paul

While the butter and sugar are cooking, lay out the crackers. The reason I personally like to use Saltines is because they are square, which makes it easier to spread out all the caramel evenly over the entire surface.

cake
    Debra Paul

Once the crackers and caramel are ready, its time to put everything together.
    Spread a layer of caramel over the entire surface of the crackers. This has to be done pretty quickly because the caramel will begin to harden.

pizza, beer, popcorn
    Debra Paul

Go crazy with the toppings! I like to add the chocolate chips and marshmallows to add a "smores-like" dynamic to the candy. But anything you want is fine (toffee, butterscotch chips, white chocolates chips etc).

chocolate, cake, pizza
    Debra Paul

Once the toppings are on, we are ready to go! Simply place the tray in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the marshmallows puff up and the chocolate chips start to melt.

chocolate, cake
    Debra Paul

Take the crackers out of the oven and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.

Once hardened, it's time to break them into candy. Just break it up into medium size pieces or whatever size you like.

chocolate, marshmallow, peanut
    Debra Paul