Summer is finally here, and frozen treats are calling your name. Cool off, island-style, with this Hawaiian take on ice cream, Guri Guri, appropriately pronounced: “Goody Goody.” This is a recipe that originated on the island of Maui and is seriously one of the easiest ice cream recipes you’ll ever try.

I personally like to use strawberry soda, but you can switch up the flavors by adding any flavored soda you like (although strawberry is bomb, so why fix what isn’t broken?) Whip up a cup of your very own Guri Guri, kick back poolside and soak up the summer sun.

Guri Guri (Hawaiian-Style Ice Cream)

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:2-3 hours
  • Total Time:About 3 hours

• 6 oz lemon-lime soda
  • 12 oz fruit-flavored soda
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/8 cup cream

Pour sweetened condensed milk into large mixing bowl.

Add in the cream.

Slowly add in the lemon-lime soda, followed by your soda of choice.

Pro tip: Don’t pour in the soda too quickly or vigorously. The Guri Guri gets its airy consistency from the carbonation in the soda, so you don’t want the mixture to de-fizz.

Gently combine the condensed milk, cream, and sodas. Again, you don’t want to whisk away all of the fizzy goodness.

Pour into cups.

Freeze for at least two hours. Three hours is ideal, but we understand you won’t be able to wait that long for this cup of heaven.

Mash and mix the frozen Guri Guri. It shouldn’t be frozen solid, but shouldn’t be too runny either.

Enjoy outside on a hot summer day. Alohaaaaaa.