The Buddha Bowl is called a variety of things including a yogi bowl, a rainbow bowl, or a hippie bowl. But don't worry, you don't need to be a zen AF hippie to consume one of these bad boys.

The name Buddha Bowl actually refers to the mounds of food filling your bowl that create a "big belly" look! And this big healthy food bowl should be your new go-to meal. 

sauce
Anteia Win

This magical bowl can be anything you want it to be. Throw in everything and anything you have lying around and you have a meal. Every recipe is completely adaptable and you should go with the flow of what you're feeling.

Although it can be anything you want, here are a couple tips to make the ultimate go-to bowl.

1. Make sure you have a grain as the base. You can go for rice, quinoa, couscous, pearl barley, bulgur—you name it.

2. Top your grain with vegetables. My favourite is to chop everything up (whatever I have left in my fridge) and throw it in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper.

3. Add your protein (or not). I like falafel balls the best but you can add chicken, beans, and anything else that suits your fancy.

4. If you want, add a dip. Say, hummus for example, and place it on top.

5. Finally, dig in!

rice, chicken, beef, pork
Anteia Win

My Favorite Buddha Bowl

• 1 cup pearl barley or any grain
  • 4 sweet potato
  • 4 peppers red yellow and/or orange
  • 2 cup kale or spinach
  • 1 onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoon tahini
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Cook your pearly barley using a ratio of 1:2, so one cup of pearl barley for 2 cups of water. Add some salt. Either use a rice cooker or cook in a pot but bring the water (with the pearl barley) to a boil and then turn down the heat to a simmer until the pearl barley has soaked up all the liquid.

Chop the sweet potato and peppers and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put this in the oven until nice and roasted (around 30 minutes).

Chop an onion and sauté in olive oil and salt. Add the kale and cook until the kale turns a nice green (takes around 2 minutes). Turn off the heat and let this sit until your oven ingredients are done.

Make the lemon-Sriracha-tahini dressing by combining tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, Sriracha and garlic in a bowl. Mix this until you have the consistency of your choosing and taste along the way to make sure its tangy enough for your taste buds!

When everything is ready, grab a bowl and start layering! Scoop your barley into the bowl and top with your peppers and sweet potato. Add your kale and top with your dressing. Mix it all and love it! Super nutritious and equally delicious.