How many times do you accidentally eat an oatmeal raisin cookie because you think it’s chocolate chip? Those black raisin specks can be quite deceiving, and I can’t help being disappointed every time my chewy mouthful hits raisin rather then chocolate. This feeling of disappointment is what inspired me to re-create the oatmeal cookie into something more exciting, something that wouldn’t disappoint even in the slightest, but would gladly be eaten over a chocolate chip cookie. Did that mean I had to have chocolate? No, not at all. It meant that I needed something unique, something with pizazz to give the cookie our grandmas love a little kick. This spark comes in the form of coconut and dried blueberries, and I promise that you’ll find yourself hoping, secretly wishing, that you’ll pick up one of these blueberry oatmeal coconut cookies instead of chocolate.

Medium

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: about an hour

Servings: 24

¾ cup all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
9 ½ tablespoons butter (1 stick and 1 1/2 tbs) room temperature
⅓ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup dried blueberries

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda, set aside.
3. In a bowl attached to an electric mixer cream the butter and sugars. Cream for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
4. Add the syrups, vanilla and egg and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula to ensure all the bits are incorporated.
5. Gradually add the flour mixture on a low speed. Mix until just well combined. Add the oats, coconut and blueberries and mix on low for 1 minute. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
6. Form the dough into 2-inch round balls.
7. Place dough balls on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown and the centers are still soft.
8.Let cool on a rack and eat warm with a glass of cold milk.

Cookies

Photo by Amanda Shulman