Ditch that ham-and-cheese. The BLT just got a serious upgrade.
In this re-invented club classic, leafy greens are swapped out for a few springs of green onion and mayo takes the boot for cream cheese. Add to that a fried egg–and some avocado slices if you’re in a healthy mood–and you’ve got yourself a lunchtime masterpiece. Feeling particularly fancy? Go ahead and experiment with savory flavored cream cheeses or artisan breads (I stuck with good ol’ sliced whole wheat.) Either way, I guarantee this one’s a keeper.
A note to my bacon lovers: I took a vegetarian twist here and used the soy-imposter all carnivores deem blasphemous. However, if you swear by bacon-loyalty, the real stuff works too. For fellow veg-heads, I found Morning Star’s imitation bacon to be just dandy. So embrace this Wonderbread moment and get out of your veggie-wrap rut already.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
2 slices of your favorite bread
2 tablespoons cream cheese
2 slices of bacon (or more to taste)
1-2 springs of green onion
1/2 small tomato (any kind will do)
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying egg and bacon)
1. Toast bread.
2. Prepare the bacon according to directions on package. Set aside once done.
3. To fry egg: heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Crack egg. Let cook for about a minute. Flip once the whites have set and edges began to crisp and brown. If you prefer a runny yolk, let egg fry for another minute then remove from heat and set aside. If you like a dry yolk, cook for two more minutes.
4. Cut off and discard bottoms (the white part) of the green onion then cut springs in half. Cut in half again, if necessary (you want them to fit on the bread.)
5. Slice tomato.
6. Spread cream cheese onto toasted bread.
7. Serve the fried egg and bacon on once slice. Lay tomato slices and green onion on the other slice. Add avocado on either side if you desire.
Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?