It’s been a long week, you’re halfway through spring semester, and all you want is something sweet. You make your way to the store and eye the rows of packaged, processed sugary candy bars, the stacks of frostbitten ice cream, and finally a plastic-wrapped 12-pack of cupcakes.

You think, How long has it been since I’ve had a cupcake? The answer, you decide, is too long, and you stoop to pick up the package. Bright colors jump out at you from the label, and the frosting seems to be — airbrushed green? Suddenly, these seem like a bad idea.

But you’re still craving. Craving a cupcake that showcases the bright, tangy flavors of springtime. A cupcake that is beautiful and colorful without dyes and additives. And one that won’t cost an arm and a leg at a cupcake shop (*cough Sprinkles cupcakes cough*).

These blackberry lime marbled cupcakes with lime frosting and blackberry compote drizzle are exactly that. The perfect balance of sweet and tart, these little springtime beauties taste like heaven, and they look like it too. (We almost didn’t want to cover them with frosting!).

Don’t be intimidated by the amount of steps and ingredients — there are many, but the recipe comes together simply and beautifully. Welcome spring and satisfy cravings with real, home-baked goodies and leave the processed stuff at the grocery store.

Blackberry Lime Cupcakes

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:25 minutes (plus cooling time)
  • Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes

• 1 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
  • 1 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 2 limes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Photo by Claire Tromblee

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a medium saucepan, combine frozen blackberries and 1/2 cup white sugar.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Mix well and place over medium-low heat.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and let cool.

#SpoonTip: To cut down on prep and cook time, use a store-bought jam. 

Photo by Claire Tromblee

In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until combined.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

In a separate bowl, beat together 1/2 cup softened butter and 3/4 cup white sugar until light and fluffy.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Add vanilla extract, zest of one lime, and three eggs to butter and sugar mixture.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Mix wet ingredients thoroughly.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Alternate between adding the dry mixture and the buttermilk to the wet mixture until all ingredients are fully combined.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Fill each liner 2/3 full with batter.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Reserve 2 tablespoons of prepared blackberry jam and set aside. Spoon heaping teaspoons of remaining jam onto the top of each unbaked cupcake.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Swirl jam into batter with a skewer or toothpick, making a marbled pattern. Be careful to not completely mix the two — you want to keep the streaks.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until tops are light brown and a toothpick stuck into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.

#SpoonTip: Speed up the cooling process by popping them in the freezer. 

Photo by Claire Tromblee

While cupcakes are cooling, beat 1 cup softened butter in a large bowl until smooth.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, until completely incorporated.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Add zest of 1 lime, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and heavy cream. Beat until all ingredients are combined thoroughly.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Frost each cooled cupcake.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Combine the leftover blackberry jam with water. Mix until the jam comes to a more runny consistency.

Photo by Claire Tromblee

Drizzle jam over the frosting on each cupcake and enjoy.

Photo by Claire Tromblee