To be honest, we made these macaroons more for the way they look, but these dainty little blobs of purple taste pretty damn good too.  This was our first time making macaroons, and to our surprise (and delight), it was much easier than we expected. Although you need a food processor for this recipe, the steps are very simple and the final product is absolutely delicious. (Let’s just say they were gone within the first few hours of making them).

These macaroons are particularly tasty when they’re warmslightly crunchy on the outside, sweet and chewy in the middle. Because they’re rich and bite-sized, these macaroons make the perfect dessert and also a great snack. You can make them for dinner parties or, well, just for yourself. Not a huge blackberry fan?  Use raspberries instead!

Level: Advanced

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 40 small macaroons

14 ounces flaked coconut
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 pint fresh blackberries (although you can use raspberries too)

Directions::
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Using a food processor, blend the flaked coconut for about a minute.
3. Add the sugar to the food processor and blend for another minute.
4. Add the egg whites, almond extract and salt to the food processor and blend all of the ingredients for another minute
5. Add the blackberries and pulse the food processor in very short bursts of about ten seconds until blackberries are largely, but not fully, broken down. Make sure you can still see flecks of the blackberries in the mix.
     Tip: Don’t stir the batter!  Some parts of it will be purple and others white, but it’s okay.

6. With a tablespoon, scoop out batter into 1 inch mounds onto prepared baking pan, about 1 inch apart.

7. Let them bake for about 30 minutes, until they are slightly toasted. When the tops start to brown, this means they’re ready!

8. Let them cool on tray (but not for too long because they’re great when they’re hot)!