It’s Friday morning. You stumble into the kitchen after yet another rough Thursday night at Skeeps or Ricks (or STR, Skeeps then Ricks… ), and the thought of eating a stale bowl of cereal couldn’t sound less satisfying to your hungover stomach. All you can think about is having an extravagant all-you-can-eat brunch at Sava’s, but let’s be real — you are a poor college student and have no money to splurge (if you did, it would obviously be on food). However, there’s no need to resort to that 2-month old box of Special K just yet. With a few everyday foods, you can throw together the most deliciously giant breakfast burrito you’ve ever tasted. Watch out Sava’s, homemade burrito coming through.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 – 40 minutes

Servings: 1 huge burrito

2 eggs
1 flour tortilla
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large pepper, chopped (or ½ of two different peppers — I used orange and yellow)
¼ white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
5-6 grape tomatoes, sliced into thirds
¼ avocado, sliced

Directions:

1. In a pan, sauté onion, pepper and garlic until brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

2. While onions are cooking, crack two eggs in a different pan. Top and scramble with ¼ cup of shredded cheddar.
3. Lay out flour tortilla on a plate.
4. When eggs and veggies are cooked, place them on the tortilla open-face.

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

5. Top with tomato and avocado.

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

6. Top again with salsa of your choosing and the remaining cheddar cheese.

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

7. Roll up the tortilla like a wrap.
8. Place back in the pan for you used to cook the veggies on low heat for 2-3 minutes to toast the tortilla.

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

9. Place the burrito on a plate with a spatula. (Half its guts fell out? No worries — top the burrito with whatever you lost from inside.)

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

¡Que deliciosa!