Everyone loves birthdays in college because they're always a great excuse to get friends together, have good food, and drink good drinks. We're fortunate around Union College to have a bunch of great options for awesome birthdays that fit all kinds of celebrations. These are the best places to go in Schenectady for your birthday fun.

1. The Classic "Crawl" 

It's no secret that there are a few places in Schenectady that offer great free drinks for birthdays. There's Zen Asian Fusion Lounge for a scorpion bowl, Bombers Burrito Bar for a giant margarita, and last but not least, Wolff's Biergarten for the infamous "boot". For these three drinks, the saying, "it's a marathon, not a sprint" is definitely theme for the night.

All places also have great food too, make sure to try Zen's pad thai, Bomber's "piggy fries", and Biergarten's brussel sprouts. 

Want to see what exactly to get at Zen? Here's a guide to tell you what asian food to eat based on your birthday month. (I hope it's pad thai!)

2. The Birthday Brunch

There are two great spots for birthday brunches, one is Pereccas, where you can get the Eggs and Purgatory dish that is a sure "cheat day" birthday treat, and finish it off with a GIANT 1/2 pound cupcake. There's also Innovo Kitchen, known for it's Unlimited Mimosa deal for $15 and delicious and creative food options. Both are great places to take large groups, and everyone will be stuffed at the end.  

Thinking of traveling far for your bday brunch? You ought to look at the best brunch across the nation.

3. The "Parents Are In Town" Birthday

When the parents are visiting, it's easier to ball out a little on a great meal and not feel guilty about it, and a birthday is no exception. Both RARE Craft Steak and Cocktail House and Aperitivo Bistro have great modern Italian-American cuisine and delicious cocktails, so why not treat yo' self and leave the parents with the bill on your special day. You can even rent out the top floor of Rare if you're really feeling extra and have your own birthday party in style. 

Here's some more places for your parents to take you around Union if you need some more options.

4. The Casual "Happy Hour" Birthday 

If you're lucky enough to have nice weather for your birthday and you're trying to keep things low-key, Firestone 151 Bar and Restaurant offers a free cocktail on your birthday and a great laid back bar setting. If you want an even more laid-back vibe, and are trying to get a good deal, head over to Nicos Rooftop Tavern for BOGO well-drinks and beers from 5pm-7pm on weekdays.

5. The "Large Group" Birthday

Who doesn't love dinner and a show? Getting hibachi is great for a large group because it is entertaining and incredibly delicious. At Sake Japanese Steakhouse, They have awesome sushi, hibachi courses, outgoing chefs, scorpion bowls, and of course, SAKE. Don't be afraid to have fun with the chef and be engaged, it makes the meal that much more fun. 

Not your birthday, but want to get the hibachi flavor? Check out how to make your own hibachi shrimp and veggies.

6. The "Sweet Tooth" Birthday

Arguably the best part of birthdays. Why? First, calories don't count and second, cake. Villa Italia Bakery sells a variety of pastries, cupcakes, gelato, and cakes that are truly fit for a birthday celebration. You can order cakes in advance (S/O to my dad for surprising me with an amazing Carrot Cake last year on my birthday) or just pick up a treat on your special day. Here are just a few of the best birthday cakes.

So regardless of what kind of mood you're in for your big day: massive yummy drinks, delicious food, mouthwatering sweets, etc., have no fear. In this small college city,  Schenectady has got you covered.