Whether you need a quick pick-me-up before class or a quiet and relaxing place to study, coffee shops are an essential college student staple. With the multitude of options on campus, it can be nearly impossible to decide which coffee house is deserving of your time and money. Have no fear, here are the best coffee shops on the University of Iowa campus:

Best Coffee Shops

T Spoons

Best Coffee Shops

Photo by Sara Nelson

Located in the Old Capitol Mall, T Spoons is a great place to grab a cup of joe between classes. It has a wide variety of options boasting delicious coffee delights, as well as stupendous smoothies, and fantastic sweet treats. T Spoons is a cute and intimate shop fitted with a colorful chalkboard menu, which adds a unique spin to the typical coffee shop scene. The staff is friendly and welcoming, and willing to answer questions or help out in any way possible, a rarity for a coffee shop. T Spoons also offers tables and booths perfect to relax or study in.

On the flip side, it is a very small shop. If you have more than one or two people, this might not be the study spot for you. Similarly, due to its size, it can get a little cramped, especially when busy. All in all, T Spoons is an excellent and adorable coffee shop which offers a wide variety of options, for coffee lovers and haters alike, and has a fantastic staff to help you make the best out of your coffee shop experience.

Wild Bill’s Coffee Shop

Best Coffee Shops

Photo by Sara Nelson

Wild Bill’s is great for the coffee purists out there. With no muss and no fuss, Wild Bill’s brews a couple different options of coffee, and offers many flavors of creamer and sugar. Located in North Hall, it is very close to many of the East Side residence  halls, as well as main campus. With its comfy and cozy environment, Wild Bill’s is a great place to sit and chat with friends, or the friendly people that frequent the shop.

The absolute best part about Wild Bill’s is the premise behind the shop. It is a service project through the School of Social Work which allows adults with disabilities to run the coffee shop, giving them employment opportunities and valuable work experience. Wild Bill’s also gives practicum opportunities for students working with people with disabilities. This means that your dollar and fifty cents not only buys you a delicious cup of coffee, it also provides employment opportunities for adults with disabilities, and helps further the education of those in the School of Social work. What a deal! However, if you aren’t a big coffee lover, and need all the extra frills and flavors, Wild Bill’s is not the place for you.

Wild Bill’s needs your help! If you are interested in volunteering or donating click here.

Java House

Best Coffee Shops

Photo by Denzel Bingaman for The Java House

Java House is my personal favorite. With six different locations throughout Iowa City, Java House nearly guarantees that you won’t have to walk up a hill to get to their mouthwatering beverages. The coffee stand in the IMU is perfectly located for those that need a quick study break, or those that want a tasty treat while shopping in the Hawk Shop. The standalone location offers lots of seating, for those that want to relax with a good book, or chat with some friends over a cup of coffee.

In addition to a massive variety of beverages, caffeinated and non-caffeinated, Java House also offers an assortment of delectable pastries and breakfast sandwiches. However, be warned, the standalone location tends to get a bit busy, meaning that sometimes seating can be hard to come by. Be that as it may, if seating can’t be found at the coffee shop, you can head on over to the IMU, or one of the four other convenient locations and enjoy all the Java House joy with all the seating options that these locations provide. To find the closest Java House near you, visit Java House’s website. With a vast menu, six convenient locations, and fantastic atmosphere, Java House has it all, and this author’s heart.

High Ground

Best Coffee Shops

Photo by Sara Nelson

High Ground has one of the most varied menus on the U of I campus. It has all of the typical coffee house beverages and pastries, as well as a full range of homemade sandwiches, salads, and soups. High Ground also sells wine and beer, in addition to all their other enticing menu items.

High Ground’s menu isn’t the only thing that sticks out about them. They have a large shop with lots of seating and floor to ceiling windows that let in lots of natural light which are perfect to study by. However, the shop is a bit of a jaunt from central campus. Located on East Market Street, High Ground is not the most convenient option for many, but its sensational drinks and food is well worth the walk.

Prairie Lights Café

Best Coffee Shops

Photo by Sara Nelson

Prairie Lights is the hidden gem of Iowa City coffee shops. Located on top of the Prairie Lights’ bookstore, Prairie Lights Café is an amazing place to grab a good book and a cup of their fantastic coffee or tea and relax. The café has tons of space and seating options perfect for studying alone or with friends. It has a wonderful atmosphere that is warm and filled with books, and a kind staff that is knowledgeable and ready to assist you in any way possible.

Not only does Prairie Lights Café host an assortment of scrumptious coffee creations, as well as tea and other beverages, it also offers beer and wine for those that need a little extra kick to their day. The café is also centrally located in the downtown area, making it a quick and easy stop between classes. With it’s awesome drinks and welcoming environment Prairie Lights Café is a marvelous coffee shop option, and has quickly worked its way into my heart. Watch out Java House, Prairie Lights is coming for you!

Navigating the world of University of Iowa coffee shops can be terrifying and stressful. With a different shop on every corner it can be extremely difficult to decide which one to frequent. However, you now know the best coffee shops that can be found on this campus, which should ease your coffee house stress.

Best Coffee Shops