These spicy beef kimchi buns are a fusion of the classic Chinese Gua Bao pork bun and classic Korean flavors like kimchi and bulgogi beef. For such amazing morsels, you can easily use pre-chilled dough for the buns and quickly stir-fry the beef filling. These small buns may be smaller than the average burger, but they are full of flavor and spice. I would take these beef kimchi buns over a regular burger any day, so go ahead and try your hand at this recipe

Korean Beef Kimchi Buns

• 1 lb beef ribeye sliced
  • 5 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 can Pillsbury biscuit dough
  • Lettuce
  • Kimchi
  • Chopped green onion
  • Sriracha
lettuce, tomato, meat, sandwich, bread, beef, salad, vegetable, kebab, gyro, chicken
Hui Lin

Add the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, black pepper, and garlic powder to the beef. Mix throughly and set aside to marinate.

#SpoonTip: Add some red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.

GIF by Hui Lin

Open a can of Pillsbury biscuit dough. Flatten each piece to make it wider and fold each piece in half.

GIF by Hui Lin

Place each biscuit on wax paper to avoid them sticking together, and steam for 20 minutes with a traditional steamer basket. Alternatively, place a strainer over a pot, fill with just enough water so that the water does not touch the strainer, then place the buns into the strainer. Bring the water to a boil and cover the pot to keep the steam in.

GIF by Hui Lin

In the meantime, cook the beef on high heat in a skillet for 5-6 minutes or until cooked all the way through.

GIF by Hui Lin

Open the buns and stack together the beef, lettuce, kimchi, and chopped onion. Enjoy!

GIF by Hui Lin