These beach cupcakes are great for make-your-own-cupcake parties, themed parties, and even a summer BBQ to kick off the summer. Decorations make the whole look, so don’t be afraid to add toppings like green icing for seaweed, hard candy for a beach ball, and even some candy rollups as a beach towel.

The cupcakes themselves only take about 45 minutes until they're ready for decorating and another 15 to complete. If you have little helpers looking for an activity to do, then it’s just the clean-up you really have to worry about.

I've made these beach cupcakes with the kids I babysit and they have a great time with it. It’s not only a great decorative addition to an event, but also a great activity for kids to express themselves. If they don’t have the opportunity go to the beach often, it lets their imagination run free. Serve up to 14 hungry monsters (or adults with a sweet tooth) and they’ll be gone before it’s high tide at the beach.

Enjoy, but watch out for sharks!            

Beach Cupcakes

• Icing
  • Cake mix
  • 4-10 drops blue food coloring
  • 3-5 graham crackers
  • 1 pkg. gummy sharks
  • 1 pkg. gummy fish
  • 1 pkg. drink umbrellas
cream, cream cheese, buttercream, cake, cupcake
Annalee Flaherty

Make cupcake mix ingredients according to the instructions on the box.

Place cupcake liners into a cupcake pan.

Add 4-10 drops of blue food coloring to the cupcake batter or until it's reached the desired color. Mix well.

Pour cupcake mix into sleeves and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until tops are firm.

Crush 3-5 Graham crackers until they're tiny crumbs. This will be the sand on your cupcakes.

Add icing to cupcakes in the decoration you prefer.

#SpoonTip: Offset spreaders work best.

Decorate! Add drink umbrellas, gummy fish, sharks, or other sea creatures to add on top of your beach scenery.

#SpoonTip: Cut gummies in half and position them "jumping" out of the water.