Let’s be honest, the best part of Thanksgiving is the leftovers… and you know you’ll have leftovers for days. By day 2 though, plain old mashed potatoes get pretty boring. Instead of heating your mashed potatoes in the microwave, try out this alternative.

Easy

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Total Time: 25 min

mashedit13 cups leftover mashed potatoes
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices of bacon (Or as much bacon as you want. There’s no such thing as too much bacon).
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil, for pan-frying

1. Cook the bacon.
2. Combine the mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon, eggs and 3 tablespoons of flour in a large bowl.

mashedit2

3. Roll approximately 12 balls of the mixture and then flatten into ½ inch thick “pancakes.”
4. Put the ½ cup of flour in a bowl and then dredge the pancakes in the flour.
5. Take a large skillet or pan and heat about 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil. Use medium heat – make sure the oil doesn’t get too hot.

mashedit3

6. Fry the pancakes in the oil until each side is brown and crispy (usually takes about 3 to 4 minutes). Add more oil if you need to. Be careful not to put too many pancakes in the pan at a time or flip the pancakes too soon.
7. Transfer cakes to a paper towel covered plate and add whatever you want – scallions, salt, more cheese or more bacon. Always add more bacon.

mashedit4For similar articles, visit:
The 17 Struggles Every College Student Faces During Thanksgiving
Which Thanksgiving Food Are You?
8 Weird Ways to Cook Your Thanksgiving Turkey