This is a recipe for those days when “dinner” means whatever you have time to eat between 4:30 and your 5:00 class. But wait, I’m definitely not writing about peanut butter smeared sloppily on a rice cake. This dish is the miracle that enters when your stash of conveniently packaged foods just won’t tide you over for the rest of the night and you have the audacity to crave something homemade. If you’ve got a frying pan and five simple ingredients, you’re just 20 minutes away from being conflicted and hungry to being content and full.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Servings: 2

1 large onion, sliced
2 small apples or one large apple, diced
1 can chickpeas
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 handful kale

1. In a large skillet, heat oil and saute onions until they caramelize, about 7 minutes.

Meatless Mondays: Apple Chickpea Hash

Photo by Kendra Valkema

2. Add apple chunks to the onions and stir.

Meatless Mondays: Apple Chickpea Hash

Photo by Kendra Valkema

3. Add chickpeas to the pan and stir.

Meatless Mondays: Apple Chickpea Hash

Photo by Kendra Valkema

4. Pour maple syrup over the mixture and stir well. This would also be the time to add any extra spices (I recommend coriander and thyme – and salt and pepper of course).

Meatless Mondays: Apple Chickpea Hash

Photo by Kendra Valkema

5. Tear the kale into large chunks. Add the kale pieces to the pan and cover until the kale wilts, about 5 minutes.

Meatless Mondays: Apple Chickpea Hash

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Meatless Mondays: Apple Chickpea Hash

Photo by Kendra Valkema

6. Once the kale has wilted, remove from heat and serve immediately. For leftovers, cool to room temperature and then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Meatless Mondays: Apple Chickpea Hash

Photo by Kendra Valkema