Every Indians answer to its American counterpart of hot chocolate, adrak ki chai or ginger tea is what every child is given when the flu germs hit hard. A large, steaming cup of this chai is what I need to soothe my nerves after a long day's work, what I drink to drive away the Monday blues and what proves to be pleasant company on weekend binges (with pizza, of course) A milk-based beverage scented with the likes of punchy ginger, warm fennel seeds and sweet cardamom, this creamy cup of chai is perfect with any cookie of your choosing.  This recipe is a family heirloom, passed onto me by my mum and now I pass it on to you, one cup a time.

Adrak ki Chai

• Prep Time:0

• 2 cups water
  • 1.5 cups milk
  • 2-inch piece ginger
  • 2.5 teaspoons black tea leaves
  • A handful fennel seeds
  • Sugar as per preference
Anahita Sahu

Add 2 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil

Anahita Sahu

Grate the piece of ginger directly into the pot of boiling water. Let it simmer till the amount of water is reduced by half. This step should take around 4-5 minutes.

Anahita Sahu

Add the tea leaves and let it boil for 1-2 minutes.

Anahita Sahu

Reduce the flame to the lowest setting and add the milk.

Anahita Sahu

Add the fennel seeds and bring to a quick boil. Lower the flame and let it cook for 4-5 minutes till it becomes thick and takes on a golden colour.

Anahita Sahu

Take off the flame, strain and pour into 2 cups. Add the desired amount of sugar and enjoy your very own cup of chai with a good book and needless to say, a plate of cookies!

Anahita Sahu