If you’re not vegan or a huge fan of cream cheese, I know what you’re thinking. “Ew, that’s gross, why would you ever want to swap real cream cheese for vegan cream cheese?” I know how you're feeling because I thought exactly the same way before I got experimental with food. A few years ago I would have never thought I'd be making a cashew-based, vegan cream cheese. 

While I myself am not vegan, I do know that being vegan can be quite challenging. It’s a lifestyle that you have to choose day by day. Imagine walking into the kitchen and having someone telling you to make something delicious with a total of only a few ingredients of which meat, dairy, and eggs are out of bounds. I mean, that’s an episode of Chopped right there. Now, multiply that by 3 meals a day and then multiply it again by 365 days a year. You do the math. That is just impressive.

Upon creating this recipe, I felt inspired by those who commit to the daily challenge of choosing a sustainable, total plant-based diet. This recipe combines all of the protein, vitamins, and minerals in cashews as well as nutritional yeast to make a protein-packed version of the all too familiar cream cheese spread you know and love. 

Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese

• Prep Time:1 day
  • Total Time:1 day 2 mins

• 3/4 cup cashews
  • juice 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp almond milk soy milk or cashew milk unsweetened
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • chives optional to taste
Lissane Kafie

Place the cashews in a container and fill the container with water until all the cashews are covered. Ideally, let them sit for 24 hours. If you're short on time, let them sit for a minimum of 8 hours.

Lissane Kafie

After the cashews soak, drain them and add them into a food processor. Add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast.

Lissane Kafie

Pulse the cashews and nutritional yeast in the food processor until they are completely combined. It will create a course-like texture. At this point, start by adding in the lemon juice.

Lissane Kafie

Continue pulsing and add in the tablespoon of water to reach your desired consistency.

Lissane Kafie

Add a tablespoon of your choice of plant-based milk and continue pulsing. Add more water if needed. Finally, add the salt to you taste preference.

Lissane Kafie

Transfer the cashew cream cheese into a container and mix in your desired amount of chives. Store in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.

Lissane Kafie

Last but not least, serve and enjoy!

#SpoonTip: try this cream cheese spread with a fresh loaf of focaccia bread or even just a couple of your favorite flavor of Wheat Thins.

Lissane Kafie

This vegan cashew cream cheese recipe is a more nutrient-dense alternative to your average cream cheese. Vegan or not, I challenge you to be open-minded toward this recipe and have fun in the kitchen creating vegan dishes. Soon you’ll find that you don’t have to be vegan to eat a delicious plant-based meal every now and then. Rather, you'll find how vegan cuisine is an art in and of itself.