Yogurt and granola is a typical breakfast go to that can be done easily and quickly. However, the same old combination can get a little tiring after a while. A few weeks ago I was looking for breakfast inspiration and came across a new take on the traditional yogurt bowl from one of my favorite health influencers Jeannette Ogden, or @shutthekaleup. Her recipes never let me down and are packed with healthy and delicious ingredients. Not only are they yummy, affordable (sometimes costing under $1 per potato), and easy to make, adding sweet potato to the bowl makes this healthy breakfast option even healthier. Sweet potatoes are full of health benefits and a great addition to breakfast, which can set the tone for your day. They are low calorie carbohydrate options that fill your body with healthy carbs it needs to create energy to fuel your day. Sweet Potatoes are packed with fiber and vitamins like B6 which is essential to brain health and keeping up a healthy immune system, two very important systems for college students as we try and keep up busy academic and social schedules. Any type of yogurt and toppings can be used however I prefer Siggi's Icelandinc-style yogurt, a low sugar option; fresh or frozen berries, full of anti-oxidants, Purely Elizabeth granola, nut butter, and lots of cinnamon for some extra flavor. This yogurt bowl is affordable and packed with fresh and simple ingredients that promote a healthy diet. Best of all, it can be assembled with little mess in a dorm room, kitchen, or with ingredients found in your dining hall. 

Sweet Potato Yogurt Bowl

• 1/2 a sweet potato
  • 1 carton Siggi's yogurt
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Fresh Berries
  • 1/4 granola
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
Virginia Rayder

Slice the sweet potato, puncture the top with small holes with a fork, and microwave for 4-6 minutes. Most microwaves have a potato setting and you can let it run all the way through.

Virginia Rayder

Remove the sweet potato from the microwave and add coconut oil to a pan. Add the sweet potato pieces to the pan and sprinkle the cinnamon on top. A pinch of salt is also a tasty addition!

Virginia Rayder

Saute the sweet potato for about 5 minutes and then pour the pieces into a bowl.

Virginia Rayder

Top the sweet potato with the cup of yogurt. I love Siggis, however any kind of yogurt will work. Top the yogurt and sweet potatoes with your choice of toppings! I like to add a little extra cinnamon to the yogurt and top with fresh berries, granola, and a drizzle of nut butter.

Virginia Rayder

Enjoy!

Virginia Rayder

While meant to be enjoyed, food is most importantly fuel for our bodies and it is crucial that we feed it properly to make sure we have enough energy to power us through our busy lifestyles. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and so its important to make sure that you are eating something nutrient dense in the morning. The bowl is packed with healthy fats, carbs, proteins, and natural sugars that will give you the sweetest start to your day while providing your body with plenty of energy to power through until lunch. Additionally, it is incredible easy to make and very affordable for college students looking to stay healthy on a budget and can be taken on the go. Grab a spoon and dig in!