When you're a student, trying to stay healthy and sane can really be a challenge. Add no sleep, midterms and a social life to the mess, and you're left with almost no time to take care of yourself. That's where low-carb zucchini latkes come in.

As a summer enthusiast and vegetarian, zucchinis are my favorite go-to when I've trying to be healthy. They're low in calories, versatile, and high in essential nutrients and antioxidants. Make low-carb latkes with these summer MVPs and you'll find that "healthy and tasty" foods aren't a myth at all.

Low-Carb Zucchini Latkes

• 2 medium-sized zucchinis grated
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 3-4 garlic pods minced
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • Salt and ground pepper to taste
vegetable, sauce
Jean Gerlach

Add the salt to the grated zucchinis, gently toss and place in a cheese cloth. Let it sit for 5 minutes.

rice, risotto, vegetable, herb
    Jean Gerlach

After draining the zucchini completely, combine flour, eggs, cheese, garlic and zucchini in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Optionally, fresh herbs and spices can also be added at this stage. (I like to add mint, coriander, cumin and minced ginger.)

rice, pasta, garlic
    Jean Gerlach

Scoop a couple of tablespoons of the mixture and prepare latkes. The mixture can also be done directly onto the pan and flattened with a spatula.

herb, vegetable, spinach, dairy product
    Jean Gerlach

Heat the oil on a skillet over medium heat. Place latkes and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook again for about 1-2 minutes.

scrambled, meat, vegetable
    Jean Gerlach

Serve hot with greek yogurt, ketchup or dip of choice.

vegetable, zucchini, cheese, dairy product
    Jean Gerlach