It's summertime and that means time to recharge. No more ordering pizza at 3am while you cram for exams. It's time to get into a new routine, hopefully one that involves waking up before 10 and actually eating breakfast (granola bars on-the-go just won't cut it anymore). After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Here's my healthy spin on five unhealthy breakfasts to help you get your day started on the right foot. 

1. Avocado Toast  

If you ask me, any problem can be solved with avocado... lots and lots of avocado. I mean who doesn't love this delicious fruit? In addition to being packed with 20 different vitamins and minerals, it's also a source of healthy fat. So, if you are craving a fat-filled breakfast sandwich, like a Sausage McMuffin from McDonalds with a whopping 46% of your daily saturated fat, replace that fatty sausage with some avocado.

I recommend smearing it on a piece of whole wheat toast and sprinkling a little sea salt on top. If you use half of an avocado, this amounts to only 16% of your daily fat most of which is of the healthy unsaturated variety. You could even add a hard boiled egg or some lean ham to your toast for a little extra protein. Delish. 

2. Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie

Looking for a breakfast to satisfy your sweet tooth? Smoothies are quick, easy, and ready to drink on-the-go. Unfortunately, many smoothies are full of sugar. For instance, the Orange Ka-bam smoothie at Smoothie King contains 108 grams of sugar and 190 milligrams of sodium. Woah. This doesn't mean you need to ban smoothies from your diet. Simply make your own blends at home with fresh fruit, which contain all natural sugars.

One of my favorite homemade combos is peanut butter and banana. Combine peanut butter, frozen bananas, soy milk, Greek yogurt, honey, some ice, and ta-da! You have yourself a healthy meal in only one cup.

3. No-Bake Overnight Oats (with fruit) 

Did you snooze your alarm clock too many times and now have no time to make breakfast in the morning? Or are you just a busy bee? Overnight oatmeal is for you. It is the perfect alternative to those last minute breakfasts. Instead of grabbing the first thing you see in the cabinet or the fridge (last night's pasta, frozen pizza, or a measly granola bar), try overnight oatmeal which is quick and healthy.

All you have to do in the morning is grab-n-go, because all of the prep is done the night before. Combine oats, chia seeds, any kind of fresh fruit, almond milk, and a dash of maple syrup to make it a little sweet. Leave it in a sealed container overnight, and when you wake up in the morning it will be ready to go! 

4. Open-Face Breakfast Sandwich 

Instead of that big, greasy bacon, egg, and cheese bagel, try an open-face breakfast sandwich. An open face breakfast sandwich can be packed with protein whereas that bacon, egg, and cheese bagel is mainly carbs and fat. All you need to do is fry an egg and place it on top of your favorite toast. Then, toss some arugula with a little olive oil and lemon to add extra flavor and vitamins to your sandwich. Mmmhmm. Truly a breakfast of champions. 

5. Zucchini, Banana, and Chocolate Chip Muffins 

Rather than drenching a piece of white bread in Nutella, try some chocolate chip muffins. Yes, muffins can actually be healthy if you use whole grain flour and mix in some of your favorite fruits and veggies, too. Head to your local farmer's market and check out all the fresh ingredients perfect for your morning muffin.

Some combinations might surprise you, like zucchini, banana, and chocolate chips. It's not one of those strange bites that you purse your lips and pretend to like. It actually tastes good, I promise. And it's full of healthy ingredients, like coconut oil, whole wheat flour, and brown sugar. These muffins, especially when warm, taste like a scrumptious slice of summertime

6. Crepes

flour, jam, dough, wheat, sweet, pastry, bread
Isabella Martin

Whole grain waffles can be great in the morning, but if you're anything like me, you tend to drench them in a puddle of syrup. Sweet, gooey, and probably not the most nutritious. Adding 3 tablespoons of syrup to your waffle adds 80 calories. Oh my! Crepes, on the other hand, are very light. Only 112 calories in a crepe. And the best part about them is that you can fill them with a variety of healthy ingredients -savory or sweet!

One of my favorite savory crepes is made with  gorgonzola, spinach, pine nuts, and cranberries. Another classic is smoked salmon, capers, red onions, and cream cheese. And you can never go wrong with a sweet berry-filled crepe. Yum-o. The options are endless.  

So, even though it may be tempting, resist the urge to eat your favorite junky breakfasts. Instead, snack on some of these delicious bites. I'm not saying that you have to say goodbye to the occasional bacon or sausage treat. Let's not kid ourselves, those porky bites are pretty dang good. However, starting the day on a healthy note will set you up for success and you might be surprised by how great you feel.