Here at Spoon University, we have a deep appreciation for dessert bars. Seriously. And why not? Bars are like the middle child of baked goods: no matter which combination of ingredients you choose, they require relatively little effort and always turn out OK.  Blend a bunch of stuff together, throw it in the oven, come back half an hour later and they’re ready to serve. No measuring droplets of ice cubes or letting anything rise overnight. They’re crunchy, crispy, salty, chocolatey, gooey and hold up in the freezer long past when your drunk self wishes they would.

These are a lot like Seven-Layer bars (or, Hello Dolly bars), but I don’t really think condensed milk should count as a layer (shredded coconut is already pushing it). I used a DIY Nutella as the chocolate layer, but you can sub in Nutella or anything similar.

6.5 Layer Bars

Adapted from Diners, Dishes and Desserts

Easy

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

Servings: 20

20 graham crackers, crushed
tip: I used two store-bought graham cracker pie crusts instead
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup Nutella (or similar)
2 cups roasted hazelnuts
8 ounces (1 package) milk chocolate chunks
8 ounces (1 package) shredded coconut
14 ounces (1 can) condensed milk

Optional: 1 package Reese’s Minis, halved, or any candy you prefer

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.

2. Combine the crushed graham cracker crumbs and peanut butter in a bowl until a paste is formed.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

3. Add the mixture to the bottom of a deep-dish rectangular pan to form a crust.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

4. Layer the chocolate spread over the crust.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

5. Place the roasted hazelnuts in a ziploc bag and seal. Whack against your counter as necessary to get hazelnut pieces.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

6. Pour the hazelnuts evenly over the chocolate mixture.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

7. Layer on the chocolate chunks and candy.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

8. Pour the shredded coconut and condensed milk over the layers and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

9. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. It is nearly impossible to resist your warm masterpiece, but this step is very important otherwise the layers won’t hold together well.

Photo by Daisy Dolan

See? You won’t even miss the last half layer.

[divider_1px]

More good stuff here:

Nutella Banana Bread

Talk Foodie to Me

Angel Food Cake

DIY Gnocchi