It is that undeniably magnificent time of year when we get to wear sweaters and boots, cuddle under a blanket on the couch, watch the leaves change…blah, blah, blah… and ADD ALCOHOL TO OUR HOT APPLE CIDER.

This is a true cause for celebration. Store shelves abound with apple cider, and hey, apples are healthy (this article says that they help to whiten your teeth and have anti-asthma qualities). Basically, you are winning all around. So please, for the love of fall, go and grab a mug, fill it with one of these five tempting hot ciders and relish the moment of sipping it slowly in bliss.

The fantastic five, you’re welcome…

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

All drinks make one serving.

1.The Mapple:

Heat one cup of apple cider with one shot of maple whiskey (try Cabin Fever), one cinnamon stick and a half-teaspoon of orange zest. Pour into a mug or glass and garnish with an apple slice on the rim.

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

2.Roll The Spice:
Heat one cup of apple cider with one shot of golden rum and a pinch of Chinese five spice. Pour into a mug or glass and garnish with an apple slice. (Note: Chinese five spice is very strong so use it to taste, you can also mix the spice and rum in the bottle to let the flavors infuse ahead of time. I would suggest one-half to one teaspoon per handle of rum).

3.The Rosh Hashanah:
Heat one cup of apple cider with one shot of bourbon and one heaping teaspoon of honey. Pout into a mug or glass and garnish with an apple slice. (Note: you can also substitute honey whiskey for the bourbon, in that case only add a half-teaspoon of honey).

4.Orange You Gleeful:
Heat one cup of apple cider with one shot of Cruzan Orange Rum and seven fresh muddled cranberries. Pout into a mug or glass and garnish with orange and apple slices.

5. Jäger-tosh:
Heat one cup of apple cider with one shot of Jäger Spice (this signature cinnamon and vanilla blend was just released on October 2nd), plain and simple, trust me this is all you need. Pour into a mug or glass, if you can restrain yourself from drinking it steaming and straight out of the pot.

For even more boozy cider ideas check out this recipe for cider sangria and number two on this list, the “Cidermon,” for a drink incorporating hard cider.