The Super Bowl means something different for everyone. For some, it’s all about the wings. Others just love gathering with family and friends. For an elite few, it seems to be all about “football” or watching a game or something like that. Over here at NYU Spoon we believe that the Super Bowl mainly exists for eating and for plenty of drinking to accompany this eating.  Whether you need fuel to cheer your team on, an addition to your party menu, or just some form of liquid to wash down all the hot wings, these drinks are sure to hit the spot.

Super Energy Super Bowl Drink 

The Super Bowl is a commitment. There’s people to talk to, food to inhale and plenty of yelling at the TV. This drink, with its perfect mix of vodka, liquid energy and soda, will ensure that you don’t fall asleep at the job.

Note: Vitamin Water and Gatorade works for us mere mortals, but Redbull is an option if you’re feeling courageous.

Easy

Servings: 1

2 oz vodka
Energy drink of choice (Gatorade, Vitamin Water, Redbull)
Ginger ale or Ginger beer Lemon (for garnish)

1. Pour a shot of vodka into a cup.
2. Fill the rest of the cup with one part your energy drink of choice and one part ginger ale or ginger beer.
3. For an optional garnish, cut a round slice from a lemon, slice in half and make a small slit on the bottom. Stick this lemon wedge on the rim for ultimate class.

5 Ways to Drink Yourself to Victory This Super Bowl

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Denver Broncos Shooters 

Back during Halloween we showed you how to do a simple orange and black vodka pour over. This is just a cool way to separate two colors of liquid in a glass (in this case, juice and colored vodka). It’s also a perfect way to create drinks with your team’s colors. Here we’ve done it in shot glasses so you’ve got your vodka and chaser in one sip for maximum efficiency.

Medium

Servings: 1

1 oz vodka
Blue food coloring
1 oz orange juice

1. First create your colored vodka by adding blue food coloring  until it’s a nice deep blue. Pour your vodka into a measuring cup.
2. Fill a shot glass halfway with orange juice.
3. Now it’s time for the vodka pour over. Take a small spoon (a little teaspoon or something) and angle it facing upside down so that the tip is touching the inside of the shot glass right where it reaches the orange juice.
4. Pour your blue vodka from the measuring cup over the round back of the spoon. It should be rolling off the spoon instead of hitting the orange juice directly. If you’re doing this right, a layer of blue vodka will settle on top of the orange juice.

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Seattle Seahawks Shooters 

Not a Broncos fan? Well, a very slight altering of the above recipe gets you the same concept with a whole new theme. We’re picturing rows of Bronco and Seahawks shooters lined up ready for your competing party guests. There’s definitely some drinking game potential here…

Medium

1 oz vodka
Blue food coloring
Clear lemonade

1. Create blue vodka by adding blue food coloring to your vodka. Transfer this to a measuring cup for pouring.
2. Fill your shot glass halfway with a clear liquid. We used Vitamin Water lemonade. If you really wanted to achieve that optimal white, we suppose you could use milk but that’s disgusting.
3. Repeat the pourover method from the above recipe to create two separate layers of color.

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Liquid Hot Wings 

We all know wings are a big part of the Super Bowl. But, what if you’re REALLY into the game? Like, not just casually into it, but I-can’t-avert-my-eyes-for-a-moment into it. In that case you wouldn’t want to bother with picking up, eating, and concentrating any attention on hot wings. Lucky for you this is a similar concept in liquid form. There’s no crispy skin, decadent sauce, or juicy meat, but hey, we all make sacrifices sometimes.

Medium

12 oz Lager Beer
2 oz Lime Juice
3 squirts Sriracha
3 squirts Worcestershire sauce
Jalapeno for garnish

Directions
1. Pour beer into a cup. Add lime juice, Sriracha, and Worcestershire sauce, adjusting proportions to taste.
2. For an optional garnish, cut a small ring of jalapeno and make a slit in the bottom. Stick on rim for an extra, crunchy, kick.

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

BEER

We’ve given you options – from easy energy drinks, to team-themed shots and spicy cocktails. But let’s be real. The Super Bowl is about BEER. This is not a fancy holiday and chances are there will be two types of people at your gathering. Those with their eyes glued on the TV and those with their eyes glued on the food. Beer is bro-ey, delicious, and easy so grab a couple six packs and enjoy the game. 

Photo by Margaret Weinberg