Halloween is just around the corner, and whether you've been spending October carving pumpkins and watching "Hocus Pocus" or you haven't even realized what month it is yet, it's time to grab your vegan ingredients to whip up some tasty treats. A holiday revolving around delicious desserts with a spooky twist does not have to be spoiled for those who choose the plant-based lifestyle. Here are the five best vegan Halloween dessert ideas to satisfy your sweet tooth and add to this year's fall celebrations.

Ghost Cupcakes

coffee, milk, cream, cappuccino, espresso
Manxi Qin

Boo! These spooky vegan cupcakes are too cute and tasty to turn down. Though you may not be able to throw a monster mash similar to last year's, up this year's small get-together with a platter of these delicious treats. This recipe inspired by Sarah Bakes is easy to follow and includes many items you'll most likely have in your house already! Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vegetable oil, your favorite plant-based milk, white vinegar, cane sugar, and pure vanilla extract to form the cupcake batter. 

For the vanilla buttercream frosting, add together shortening, vegan butter, sifted powdered sugar, vegan vanilla coffee creamer, and vanilla extract. Decorate the cupcake frosting with your favorite non-dairy chocolate chips for the eyes.

Frankenstein Brown Rice Krispie Treats

It's aliveee! This recipe offers a unique twist to the traditional, easy-to-make Rice Krispie treat. Bring Frankenstein's monster to life with this simple recipe, with only four ingredients needed to make the treat itself. Mix melted vegan marshmallows and vegan butter with green food coloring and brown rice cereal. Use any melted non-dairy chocolate mixed with coconut oil to form the hair and the mouth, and top with chocolate sprinkles to complete the look. Finish the face by gluing on homemade googly eyes and cut-up vegan marshmallows for the bolts, using chocolate sauce to make it stick.

To finish, stick in some popsicle sticks at the base for easy grabbing. These fun and delicious treats will bring all the Halloween spirit and leave guests wanting more.

#SpoonTip: Don't have ingredients to make googley eyes? Use white frosting and chocolate chips instead.

Mummy Cookies

Trying to add a spookier, more creative dessert to your Halloween lineup? Add mummy cookies to the list. This vegan Halloween dessert will leave you wondering if you ever need dairy in your life again. To form the sugar cookies, this recipe calls for flour, baking powder, salt, powdered sugar, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract. To create the frosting, simply mix together powdered sugar, softened vegan butter, and vanilla extract. Pipe the cookies with the frosting once they are fully baked, and top them with 2 googley eyes to finish them off!

These cookies are perfect for a simple recipe that will grab guests' attention and get them in the mood for spooks.

Sugar-Free Caramel Apples

caramel, cake, chocolate, caramel apple, candy
Spoon University

Yup, you read that right. With all the sugar you'll be consuming on Halloween, save yourself from this year's sugar coma by making these sweet alternatives to traditional caramel apples. This recipe calls for a variety of healthier options. Blend together pitted dates, nut butter, lemon juice, sea salt, and vanilla extract to make the caramel. Spread the caramel over a baking sheet to be left in the oven for 2 hours on the lowest setting, making sure the oven door stays open. Once done, cut the caramel into small rectangles and gently fold them over your apples. For an extra taste, add coconut shavings, nuts, or non-dairy chocolate drizzle on top.

#SpoonTip: Refrigerate the caramel apples once they are covered to prevent the toppings from easily falling off.

Gingerbread Skeleton Cookies

Can't wait for Christmas but still excited to celebrate Halloween? These adorable cookies are perfect for that, combining the flavors of winter with the decorations of fall. Make these deliciously cute gingerbread skeleton cookies by combining the dry ingredients first—flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking powder, and salt—and set aside. Then in a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: powdered sugar, molasses, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, and mix with a utensil before kneading the dough by hand until it comes together. 

Place the dough in the fridge and let chill for 1 hour. Once the dough is finished, roll it out onto a baking sheet and cut into small gingerbread cookies using a cookie cutter to produce the desired shape. While the cookies bake for 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees, form the icing by simply mixing powdered sugar and non-dairy milk. Let the cookies cool before adding the icing to create the perfect skeleton art!

These simple and fun Halloween dessert ideas bring all the fun of the spooky season without all of the dairy. Whether you're spending this year at home with a scary film on or dressing up in crazy costumes with friends, you'll need to give these creative recipes a try.