Protein is one of, if not the most, important macronutrients, whether you're an athlete or not. Not only is it necessary to build muscle, but it also helps you to feel fuller. In college, eating in the dining hall and trying to prioritize protein do not always go together. It can be hard to not cook your own meals, but I rely on some easy protein-packed dorm snacks to help me hit my goals and keep me full. 

1. Greek Yogurt

yogurt, milk, sweet, berry, strawberry, cream, dairy, muesli, blueberry, granola, mint, dairy product, frozen yogurt
Jenny Mun

1 cup of plain greek yogurt comes in at around 100 calories and 15-20 grams of protein, making it a perfect snack or breakfast. I like to pair it with berries and granola. Single-serve cups are also perfect to take on the go.

2. Protein bars

granola, cereal, muesli, sweet, corn, oat, wheat, granola bar, muesli bar, wheat flake, candy, cereal bar, oatmeal, cornflakes
Sarah Fung

In a pinch, protein bars are a super easy and filling protein-packed snack. I look for at least 15-20 grams of protein and low sugars. My favorites are Barebells bars, which are super easy to find at Trader Joe's. A great vegan option are No Cow bars, which are packed with 20 grams of plant-based protein and less than 2 grams of sugar. 

3. Protein Oatmeal

apple, cereal, porridge, oatmeal, milk, rice, yogurt, muesli
Letty DiLeo

If you are an athlete or need a pre workout meal, oatmeal is a great source of easily digestible carbs. Microwave 1/2 cup of oats with water, then simply stir and add your favorite protein powder. I like to top mine with fruit. This oatmeal is super microwave and dorm friendly, and you can use whatever toppings you have on hand. 

4. CHOMPS Turkey Sticks

Image from WikiCommons

Image from WikiCommons

CHOMPS are free range meat sticks that come in turkey, beef, and venison, plus a variety of different flavors. One turkey stick packs 10 grams of proteins, no sugars, and 60 calories. Sold at Trader Joe's, these are easy to find and eat on the way to class.

5. Kodiak Cakes 

on

Kodiak frozen waffles and flapjacks are easy to store in the freezer and pop in the toaster. The buttermilk and vanilla power waffles are my personal favorite, especially topped with almond butter and cinnamon. One serving of two waffles contains 12 grams of protein and makes for a delicious breakfast or late night snack. 

I always keep these snacks on hand for days when I need to grab something quick, easy, and filling. Getting in more protein at each meal and snack can help you stay full and energized during busy days of class. Try these out next time a bag of chips or a granola bar just isn't cutting it!