Yeah, it’s no secret that everybody loves Mexican food. And thanks to popular restaurants ranging from Chipotle to Rick Bayless’ Frontera Fresco, spicy, delicious eats are more popular than ever. But if you’re tired of gobbling down quesadillas, you may enjoy a lesser-known but still equally irresistible Mexican staple: chilaquiles, or egg-and-tortilla-based breakfast nachos. They’ve recently been gaining some serious traction in the restaurant world and can be found in restaurants all over the Chicago area, even in Evanston’s own Dixie Kitchen. This simplified version of chilaquiles requires only a few ingredients and tastes like the sweet ambrosia of the gods in the morning after a night out. Honestly, it’s in your best interest to try this as soon as possible.

Easy

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes

Servings: 1-2

1 teaspoon oil
3 eggs
2-3 cups corn tortilla chips (Tostitos will work)
½ cup shredded Mexican cheese
2 tablespoons hot sauce (my favorite kind is Valentina)
Optional: Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Beat the eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper (if desired).

Eggs

Photo by Emily Kim

2. Heat a nonstick pan on medium-high heat until it is hot. Add the oil, coating the bottom of the pan (or use a nonstick spray, such as Pam).

Pouring egg

Photo by Emily Kim

3. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and quickly mix in the tortilla chips before the eggs can cook too much. Try to coat all the chips with egg.

Adding tostitos

Photo by Emily Kim

4. As the eggs are cooking, stir in the cheese. Lower to medium heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.

Mixing cheese and egg

Photo by Emily Kim

5. Remove the chilaquiles from the pan and drizzle with hot sauce.

Chilaquiles

Photo by Emily Kim

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

pzHt6DI_tR3RWmln1fi1XSMqMX7EltHYs9DtRv7Nm-U