Despite the scorching heat here in southern Florida, autumn is finally upon us, and the smell of pumpkin spice and pure bliss lingers in the air. Even though it may still be a little toasty out, that doesn't mean you should miss out on all of the holiday fun. Here are some of my favorite gluten-free recipes to make during the fall season. 

1. Pumpkin Bread/Muffins

pumpkin, sweet
Katherine Carroll

Okay, I'm not exaggerating when I say that these are some of the most delicious pumpkin muffins I have ever tasted. When made correctly, they are so soft, warm and full of flavor that you wouldn't even know they're gluten-free. You'll need butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin, gluten-free flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt to make these fall treats. The entire process to make and bake these pastries takes a little over an hour -- perfect for an autumn afternoon in. So, find a spooky movie to watch and get to baking!  

Tip: Once they have cooled, add some brown sugar cream cheese spread over the top to make them extra tasty.

2. Baked Cinnamon Apple Halves

honey, sweet, apple, caramel
Kelsey Emery

There's just something about warm cinnamon apples on a chilly fall night that hits different. And the best part? You probably already have these ingredients lying around in your kitchen. These baked cinnamon apple halves are easy to make, quick to bake, and low on the calories. All you need is apples, butter, brown sugar, gluten-free flour, quick oats and cinnamon. In total, this dessert takes about 35 minutes to make from start to finish. Serve it with some dairy-free ice cream, and you're all set. 

3. Pecan Pie Bars

pecan, caramel, sauce, pie
Amanda Shulman

You know that feeling when you want a thick slice of pecan pie but you don't want to commit to the time to make it? Me too. That's why these gooey pecan pie bars are the perfect and easy solution to satisfy your sweet tooth this Holiday season. Not only are they gluten-free, but they are vegan, grain-free and soy-free too. Though they require a little more resting time, they are well worth the wait. For this recipe, you will need almond flour, turbinado sugar (vegan sugar works too), maple syrup, vegan butter, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, pecans, non-dairy milk and vanilla extract. Don't forget to top it off with some dairy-free whipped cream!  

4. Pumpkin Brownies

Image from WikiCommons

Image from WikiCommons

Alright, these pumpkin brownies are my kryptonite. There's just something about chocolate and pumpkin that makes these treats so rich and dense that I can't get enough of them. Not to mention, the natural orange coloring on top is the perfect way to start the spooky season. So, to make these pumpkin brownies, you'll need gluten-free flour, sea salt, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, coconut oil, applesauce, eggs and water. You will also need pumpkin purée, cream cheese and pumpkin pie spice. Needless to say, you may need to take a trip to the grocery store. It's all worth it in the end, though! 

5. Spiced Apple Oatmeal Cookies

Image from WikiCommons

Image from WikiCommons

These spiced apple cookies have taken the top spot as my favorite fall cookies this year. Although gluten-free treats are sometimes tricky to make, these bake just right and melt in your mouth after the first bite. With a perfect combination of cinnamon and apple, they are soft, chewy and full of fiber. For this recipe, you will need gluten-free flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, coconut oil, almond butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, quick oats, apple chunks and sugar. These are served best warm. Happy baking!