Most people drink in college but the vast majority don’t do so in a very “classy” way. After all, it’s easy to fall back on old favorites – 40’s, cheap wine and, if you’re feeling fancy, some juice in your vodka. Our personal tastes are hardly to blame, as we don’t have the time or money for complex cocktails. Yet every once in a while you want more. Maybe you’re having friends over for dinner and need something with a little more oomph than a PBR. Or maybe you just want to pretend you’re a real adult for a little. No matter what your reason, we are here to tell you that you don’t have to shell out cash or effort to feel a little classier while drinking.

Wine Spritzer

“Wine spritzer” is a classy name for what could also be referred to as “ratchet champagne.” You’re essentially watering down wine for a cause. This makes this recipe extremely economical, as your wine will go twice as far. Remember that wine spritzers will always look classiest with a mason jar and lemon garnish.

drinks

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Servings: 1

4 oz white wine
Seltzer water
1 slice of lemon

1. Fill your glass 2/3 of the way with white wine.

2. Fill the rest of the glass with seltzer water.

3. To garnish your drink, cut one thin, circular slice of lemon. Make a small slit at the bottom of the lemon slice and stick on the lip of your glass.

Tropical Fireball

It is almost a fact that there is no one in the world who does not love Fireball (otherwise known as the cinnamon whisky drink of the Gods). It’s easy to drink straight, but maybe you want to switch it up. Or perhaps you’re having a tropical themed party. Either way, this is the drink for you.

drinks

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Easy

Prep Time: 4 minutes

Servings: 1

2 oz Fireball
1/2 can of Cherry Pepsi
Lime
Maraschino cherry

1. Pour one shot of Fireball into a glass. Fill the rest of the glass with Cherry Pepsi.

2. Squeeze in the juice of one slice of lime. When done, skewer the lime slice and a maraschino cherry on a wooden skewer for some tropical flair.

Black Tea Hot Toddy

These hot toddies are great because they are literally spiked tea. Tea + alcohol = the best way to feel healthy and have fun at the same time. Invest in some cool mugs and surprise your guests at your next study party.

drinks

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1

2 oz bourbon
1 black tea bag
Hot water
Honey
Cinnamon

1. Boil hot water and steep 1 black tea bag in a mug.

2. Add one shot of bourbon and honey to taste. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top. Garnish with cinnamon sticks if you are really going for that decorative flair.

Bodega Bloody Mary 

In 2011 the American Chemical Society speculated that the Bloody Mary was the “world’s most complex cocktail.” But whoever told you that this infamous hangover cocktail had to contain everything from Worcestershire sauce to cayenne pepper was wrong. This stripped-down version only includes ingredients that can be found at your local bodega, while still making it look like you pulled out all the stops.

drinks

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Serving: 1

40 oz malt liquor (preferably Olde English)
2 oz vodka
5 oz tomato juice
Lime
Siracha
Celery

1. Fill a glass halfway with malt liquor. Add the vodka and fill the glass the rest of the way with tomato juice.
2. Squeeze the juice of half a lime into the drink and add siracha to taste.
3. Garnish with celery.
4. Drink the rest of your 40.

Grown Up Ice Cream Float 

Have you ever wanted to eat an ice cream float and get drunk at the same time? This is your chance. Trust us, this drink will blow your guests out of the water and they will practically think you are a cocktail wizard if you make this for them.icecream2-1-1024x767

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1

2 oz vodka
2 oz peach schnapps
Ginger ale
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
Maraschino cherries
Sugar + water for rim

1. Pour a bit of sugar onto a small plate and wetting the rim of your glass. Press the rim of the glass into the sugar to coat the rim.
2. Pour vodka and peach schnapps into your glass and fill the rest of the way with ginger ale.
3. Add a scoop of ice cream and top with several maraschino cherries.