Apple spice is the most understated flavor of this holiday season. Each holiday seems to have its own flavor. Thanksgiving has pumpkin. Christmas has peppermint. New Years has champagne. But the one flavor appropriate for them all? Apple.

If you’re looking for a way to impress at your next holiday get-together make one of these five apple spice recipes.

French Apple Tart

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes

• 1 Pepperidge Farm Dough Puff Pastry Sheet
  • 4 Granny Smith apples
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • Caramel sauce
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
Photo by Molly McCarvill

Defrost puff pastry sheet.

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

Peel and core the apples and slice them three-fourths of an inch thick. As they are sliced, toss them in a bowl with the lemon juice, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar.

Bake 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350ºF. Bake 35 to 40 minutes longer, until the dough is lightly browned and the apples are beginning to brown along their edges.

Remove from the oven and allow to rest at least three hours at room temperature.

Top with caramel sauce and pecans and serve.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:40 minutes
  • Total Time:55 minutes

• 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 2 tablespoon rolled oats for topping
Photo by Molly McCarvill

Preheat oven to 375ºF and grease one 9×5 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, yogurt, applesauce, oil, egg. Add the rolled oats and let it sit for ten minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

After the rolled oats have sat in the wet mixture for at least ten minutes, mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.  Gently fold in the apples, being careful not to over-mix.

Slowly spoon mixture into your prepared loaf pans and sprinkle with rolled oats.

Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes

• 3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3 packages cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
Photo by Molly McCarvill

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Cut in 1 cup butter with a pastry blender (or 2 forks) until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into a 9×13 baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with ¾ cup sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Then add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour over warm crust.

In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture.

For the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup flour, oats, and 1/2 cup butter. I like to really combine it by using my clean hands to thoroughly combine the butter into the mixture.

Sprinkle streusel topping over apples. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping and let cool.

Caramel Apple Taquitos

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes

• 12 flour tortillas
  • 5 oz caramel sauce
  • 20 oz can apple pie filling
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Photo by Molly McCarvill

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Butter a 9×13 dish, set aside.

Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a shallow dish and mix well. Set aside.

Chop pie filling into small size pieces.

Microwave tortillas for 20 seconds to soften.

Spread tortilla with thin layer of caramel sauce down the middle.

Cover caramel with diced apple filling.

Roll tortilla and place in prepared dish.

Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture.

Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Bake for 15 minutes of until golden and bubbling on ends.

Bloomin' Baked Apples

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:45 minutes

• 2 Honeycrisp apples
  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • 3 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 caramels
  • vanilla ice cream
  • caramel sauce
Photo by Molly McCarvill

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

To get the blooming apple look, you need to cut the apples. Slice off the top ¼ to ⅓ of the apples. Scoop out the core (I used my metal ½ teaspoon measuring spoon).

Use a thin knife to make two, deep circular cuts around the center of the apple. Next, turn the apple over and make narrow cuts all the way around the apple. Flip it back over and you can see all of the cuts.

Place the apples in an oven safe dish and put two caramels into the center of each apple.

Heat butter and brown sugar in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir and continue heating for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir in flour and cinnamon. Divide the mixture over the top of the two sliced apples.

Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes (check apples after 25 minutes and continue cooking until tender. Some apples can take 45 min to 1 hour to soften).

Remove from the oven and use a large spoon to move the apples into bowls.

Top with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle with caramel. The ice cream will cause the caramel in the center to harden so eat quickly or put the ice cream scoop on the side.