Overnight oats plus a college student's hectic schedule and limited budget go together like peanut butter and jelly. In addition to being tasty, cheap, and easy to make, overnight oats are extremely nutritious. They contain brain-boosting B vitamins, a high fiber content that will leave you feeling fuller for longer, and heart-healthy oat bran that has quite the reputation as a cholesterol reducer. Additionally, preparing overnight oats in advance can help decrease the likelihood that you'll make the snap decision and grab something loaded with sugar when you're trying to hurry on hectic mornings. So, whether you're meal prepping breakfast for the whole week, throwing together an on-the-go meal for the next day, or just looking for a nutritious and filling meal, these four unique overnight oat recipe combinations are perfect for you. 

Adaptable Overnight Oats Recipe

• Cook Time:8 hrs
  • Total Time:8 hrs 5 mins

• 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 3/4 cup milk or non-dairy milk substitute divided
  • Miscellaneous mix-ins
  • Miscellaneous toppings
sweet, rice
Caroline Mackey

Add 1 tablespoon chia seeds to the bottom of a mason jar. Add 2 ounces of your choice of milk or milk substitute. Mix well.

Katie Halwachs

Add the 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, the remainder of the milk or milk substitute, and the mix-ins you want in your oats. You can see below combinations 1-4 for inspiration. Mix.

While I like to keep my oats in layers, others like to mix the chia seeds together with the oats. If you like the layered look, which is seen in these photos, gently mix the ingredients added in this step. If you want the chia seeds mixed in with the oats, thoroughly mix all additions in the jar.

Katie Halwachs

Layer the desired toppings over the oats.

Katie Halwachs

Let the jar of oats sit in the refrigerator overnight. My oats typically sit anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. To view the finished product of this batch, check out the photo below for combination 4.

Katie Halwachs

Remember: after sitting overnight, the oats may still have some milk remaining in the jar. This is normal, and the texture will become ideal with stirring.

Recipe Combination #1: Hazelnut Strawberry Mocha

Katie Halwachs
Follow the adaptable recipe found above. Add the following mix-ins and toppings when prompted in steps 2 and 3. 

Mix-ins: 

- 2 tablespoon Nutella

- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Toppings: 

- 2/3 cup sliced strawberries

- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts

- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Recipe Combination #2: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana 

Katie Halwachs

Mix-ins: 

- 2 tablespoons peanut butter

- 1 teaspoon vailla extract

Toppings: 

- 1 small banana, sliced

- 1/4 cup sliced almonds

- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Recipe Combination #3: Island Fruit Passion

Katie Halwachs

Mix-ins: 

- 1 tablespoon raw honey

Toppings: 

- 1/3 cup chopped dragon fruit

- 1/3 cup diced mango

- 1/3 cup blueberries

Recipe Combination #4: Sweet Blueberry Peach

Katie Halwachs

Mix-ins: 

- 1 tablespoon raw honey

Toppings: 

- 2/3 cup blueberries

- 1/3 cup diced peach

- 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's Super Seed & Ancient Grain Blend

Now that I've shared my favorite overnight oat combinations with you, hopefully a combination from this list of four recipes will tantalize your tastebuds and inspire you to experiment with your own overnight oat creations. If you can't find something on this list that strikes your fancy and would prefer to follow a recipe before exploring your own flavor combinations, there are plenty more options to choose from. So, as the semester heats up, stay sane and snack on some scrumptious oats, my foodie SpoonU readers.