Some of us didn't become bakers during quarantine, however, that doesn't mean we can't have delicious fresh baked goods. These 4 recipes will show you how to level-up your cookies easily and quickly. This article contains tips, tricks and ideas to impress anybody. 

Therefore, in the recluse of my house, I have thought up 4 recipes to level-up your cookies. This recipe uses chocolate-chip cookie box mix as a base but you can also create your own basic chocolate-chip cookie dough recipe

You can even separate your cookie dough into four equal portions and make all the recipes for a dessert tasting party. Let's be honest, that's the best kind of party. 

Quick Tips

Before getting into the recipes there are some simple things you can do to make your boxed cookies better. I did all of the following to my 4 levelled-up recipes. 

Anusha Goyal

1. Add a pinch of salt because it will enhance the other flavours in your dough. 

2. Sift out the chocolate chips in the mix and add the roughly chopped good quality dark chocolate. Those chocolate chips are not worth the calories and this will sift out some large granules of sugar to tone down the sweetness. 

3. Refrigerate your dough for at least 8 hours before baking, to infuse the flavours or your add-ins

The Recipes

All the recipes begin the same but have different toppings. Follow steps 1-4 below and from there choose a recipe and continue to step 5

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C or 10°C less than the box's instructions. 

2. Sift the dry boxed mix into a large bowl, putting aside the reject chocolate chips that the sieve catches. 

Anusha Goyal

3. Continue making the boxed cookies as instructed by the back of the box (which you definitely didn't accidentally throw away).

4. As the dough is about to come together but still a crumble texture, add the additional ingredients from one of the following recipes. 

Dark Chocolate Mint Cookies

100 grams good quality mint flavored dark chocolate chopped into small pieces

Anusha Goyal

Orange, Almond and Dark Chocolate Cookies

Zest of 1 medium orange

1/4 cup slices almonds

75 grams good quality dark chocolate chopped into small pieces

Anusha Goyal

Mocha Cookies

2 tablespoons espresso powder

100 grams good quality dark chocolate chopped into small pieces

Anusha Goyal

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies

4 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter melted

100 grams quality dark chocolate roughly chopped

Anusha Goyal

5. Mix your add-ons in well into the cookie dough. 

6. Scoop out 1 tbsp of cookie dough and roll into balls.

7. Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Keep the dough balls at least 5cm apart and gently flatten them with your hands before baking.

Anusha Goyal

8. Leave the cookies in the oven for 10 to 15mins or until golden brown. 

These recipes might be simple but you will be surprised by how much better your cookies will taste. I recommend making these changes if you also find your cookies too sweet when they come from a box. I find the other ingredients offset the excess sugar or doughiness.

Remember these recipes can be a beginning point for your own creations. If you make these recipes or feel inspired by them, snap a picture and tag @spoon_ucla on Instagram so we can see your amazing creations.