Have you ever been craving cinnamon buns but not enough to spend 3 hours making them, like in this recipe? Because same. I’m sure those probably taste like heaven, but sometimes (most of the time) I just don’t have the attention span to make a recipe that includes activating yeast.

Enter these semi-homemade, semi-cheated cinnamon buns. I found the recipe on Popsugar and modified it slightly to make the buns look legit and easy to make. Oh yeah, they also taste bomb – so get ready.

Cinnamon buns

Semi-Homemade Cinnamon Buns

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes or until tops are golden brown
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:8 buns

• 2 tablespoon salted butter, melted
  • 1/2 packed cup + 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 package crescent roll dough
  • 2 tablespoon room temperature salted butter
  • 2 tablespoon room temperature cream cheese
  • 2 to 3 tablespoon milk
  • 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Use a pastry brush (or any brush) to coat a small baking dish (7×5 inches) with some of the melted butter.

#SpoonTip: I used an 8×8-inch dish and the rolls spread a little too much while baking, so the smaller the better (size matters).

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.

Photo by Gia Vizzone

Open the crescent roll canister and unravel the dough without tearing the perforated markings. Be careful, people. Lightly brush the dough with some of the melted butter, leaving a 1/4-inch border without butter.

#SpoonTip: The easiest way to open those annoying canisters is to peel the sticker off then twist.

Photo by Gia Vizzone

Sprinkle the buttered portion of the dough with your cinnamon sugar mixture, leaving the border again. Spread sugar with a knife or spatula, then press it into the dough with your fingers or a fork.

Photo by Gia Vizzone

Drizzle what’s left of your butter over the sugar until it’s partially saturated.

Photo by Gia Vizzone

Roll the dough into a tight log. Slice the log into eight even pieces. Transfer those pieces to your baking dish, cut side up. Hold the cut pieces together with a spatula while you transfer them to the dish or you’ll lose all of your filling.

#SpoonTip: Make sure the log is tight or it just will not work.

Photo by Gia Vizzone

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops of the buns are golden brown on top. Once they’re done, let them cool in the dish.

Photo by Gia Vizzone

To make the glaze, combine the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer. Whip in milk and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and mix until it’s smooth.

#SpoonTip: If your glaze isn’t as thick as you’d like, add more powdered sugar.

Photo by Gia Vizzone

Drizzle it over the buns with a spatula or spoon. Use leftover glaze as a dipping sauce or just drizzle more.

#SpoonTip: If you have the restraint to not eat them as soon as you’re done with the glaze, pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds so they get perfectly gooey.

Photo by Gia Vizzone