Getting bored of that same bowl of rice every day? Just by adding a few simple ingredients, you can add some flavor to that otherwise monotonous meal. Here are three quick and easy ideas on how to make your rice a little more exciting.

Rice with Broth

rice

Photo by Irene Kim

If you’re in the mood for something extra savory, try cooking your rice with broth instead of water. Any type of broth can work: beef, chicken, vegetable — give them all a try! The approximate ratio is one cup of rice per two cups of broth. This flavorful end product can even be served as a stand alone dish.

Ginger Soy Rice

rice

Photo by Irene Kim

The fresh smell of ginger will jump start your appetite and get your kitchen smelling like an authentic Asian restaurant. Mince up two tablespoons of ginger and add two teaspoons of soy sauce per cup of rice. Then let the magic happen.

rice

Photo by Irene Kim

If you want to be extra adventurous, combine this recipe with the previous recipe for the ultimate savory rice combination.

Coconut Rice

rice

Photo by Irene Kim

Not all rice has to be salty. Try something on the sweet end and indulge yourself with the fragrance and flavor of coconut. To add a dessert-y twist to those carbs, add some coconut milk to water before cooking the rice (canned coconut milk is too thick to use by itself). A good rice to coconut milk to water ratio is two cups of rice, one cup of coconut milk and one cup of water.

There are countless ingredients you can add to your rice to make it more interesting. You can try spices and nuts, garlic and butter — the possibilities are endless. Rice is an incredibly versatile ingredient that can pair well with almost anything, so go ahead and try out a few interesting combinations yourself.

rice

Photo by Irene Kim