They say that three is the magic number, but really, we all know that adding more letters to a BLT only makes it better. Already starting with a solid foundation that includes bacon, the BLT upgrade possibilities are endless, even for a college student on a budget. This juicy, yet lightweight sandwich combines the ultimate upgrades that will keep you, and your wallet, coming back for more.
This is “The BaLT”. Because avocado is so good, it deserves it’s own letter.
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 11 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
2 slices whole wheat bread
½ cup kale
2 slices bacon
¼ cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
1. Stick two pieces of bread in the toaster.
2. Heat your pan, add the bacon and watch the magic happen. Wait until bacon is brown, crispy and just begging to be munched on. If you’re strong enough to resist, set aside for later.
3. In a bowl, turn up the flavor of your mayo by adding Sriracha. Mix together, and set aside for later.
4. Slice your tomatoes and avocados, scooping out as many avocado pieces as your heart desires.
#SpoonTip: If you aren’t a pro at cutting avocados, here’s a tip: pull apart the two halves and scoop the avocado out with a spoon.
5. Crack the egg into a greased pan. Keep your eye on it to make sure it doesn’t overcook because you want yolk to ooze all over your carefully crafted masterpiece. It shouldn’t take more than 3 minutes to cook.
6. It’s assembly time. First, take one piece of toast and slather on the spicy mayo.
7. Then, carefully craft your beautiful symphony of flavors. Start with the bacon, add slices of avocado, kale, slices of tomato and then top it all off with your fried egg. Bring it on home with your second piece of toast and take a moment to admire your work.
8. Cut into your sandwich and enjoy.
Special shoutout to “The Best BLT You Will Ever Eat” for the inspiration.
More BLT inspiration, you say? Try these other sandwich upgrades: