Once you’ve secured your date for formal, you only have a few chances to show ‘em what you’re made of before that slow jam comes on. Throwing some dough down for a dinner out is definitely a tried and true way to set the mood, but the biggest power move by far is to get domestic and cook your date a meal to remember.

A homemade meal shows how much you care, allows you the privacy and comfort of eating at your place (bow chicka bow wow…) and seriously impresses that special someone. We’ve prepared a menu that you don’t have to be an Iron Chef to cook, but is just as impressive as any 3 course meal you would get at a restaurant.

Fig, Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad:

Easy

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: none
Total Time: 3 minutes

Servings: 2

5 dried figs
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups arugula
4 tablespoon goat cheese

Directions:

1. Slice the figs into thin strips.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

2. In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey and olive oil until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Tip: taste the vinaigrette with an arugula leaf to know what it will taste like on the salad.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

3. Add the arugula and toss to combine.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

4. Sprinkle the cheese and figs on top.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

Oven Baked Lemon Caper Salmon:

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 2

2 salmon fillets
2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 lemon
1 tablespoon capers
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoon butter

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

2. Drizzle olive oil on both sides of the fillets and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet.

3. Cut the lemon in half. Slice one of the halves into thin slices and place over the fillets.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

4. Bake the salmon for 12-15 minutes, until juices are white.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

5. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat and add the capers, garlic, zest of the other lemon and lemon juice. Cook until butter begins to brown.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

6. Serve the salmon with your favorite starch and the butter drizzled over the top.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

Profiteroles:

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

Servings: 6

1 cup milk
1 stick butter (¼ lb)
1 cup all-purpose flower
4 eggs
12-oz. semisweet chocolate chips
Favorite ice cream (coffee for me)
Piping bag or sealable plastic bag

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

2. In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter on medium heat until the butter is melted.

3. Add the flour and stir for two minutes with a wooden spoon. The mixture will become a doughy paste that sticks to the bottom of the pan.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

4. Place the dough in another bowl and add the eggs one at a time. Stir quickly to avoid cooking the egg and make sure that the previous egg is completely incorporated before adding the next. The dough will be sticky and shiny.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

5. Place the mixture into a piping bag (or in a resealable bag with the tip cut off) and pipe small mounds onto a lined baking sheet. Press down the points with your finger.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

6. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and let them sit another 10 minutes in the oven.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

7. With a knife, cut a small hole in the side of each of the profiteroles to let the steam escape. Let cool.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

8. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl in the microwave. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each one until it is just melted. Do not overheat or it will seize up.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

9. Dip the tops of the profiteroles in the chocolate and serve with a scoop of ice cream.

Formal

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

Can’t get enough food lovin’? Take a look at these articles: