A highlight of cooler weather is the widespread use of butternut squash in a variety of recipes. One of my favorite parts about cooking with squash is its versatility in all types of recipes. Even though it can be a pain to cut, the end product is always worth it. From simply roasted with maple syrup to cooked and incorporated into waffle batter, this vegetable can be used for all meals (even snacks!) throughout the day. Here are 21 healthy butternut squash recipes that will make you love this veggie as much as I do.

1. Butternut Squash Mushroom Bacon Frittata

This butternut squash frittata is great for breakfast or dinner if you're in the mood for a mix of sweet and savory. Feel free to change up the fresh herbs or add a sprinkle of goat cheese before baking. If you're serving it in the evening, complete the meal with a side salad and a loaf of warm crusty bread. 

2. Spicy Squash Salad with Lentils and Goat Cheese

Although this squash salad recipe doesn't use arugula, adding the bitter green lightens it up a bit. Crumbled feta would be saltier substitute for goat cheese while still tempering the smokiness of the paprika.

3. Butternut Squash Carbonara

Lissane Kafie

A twist on the original version, this carbonara recipe takes pasta to a whole other level. Butternut squash adds a touch of sweetness and makes the sauce creamier than usual.  

4. Squash Toasts with Ricotta and Cider Vinegar

With toast recipes on the rise, these butternut squash toasts are perfect for serving in larger pieces for a full meal or bite-sized for appetizers. Instead of thick country bread, try a heartier whole grain or a German rye for a denser base.

5. Black Bean and Butternut Squash Tacos

tacos, vegetable, chili, bread, tomato, lettuce
Katherine Baker

These bean and squash tacos are perfect for solo dinners, but they can also be doubled or even tripled to serve a crowd. Healthy, simple, and vegetarian, this recipe showcases squash perfectly.

6. Butternut Squash and Leek Stuffing

This stuffing recipe offers a lighter and more colorful version of traditional stuffing. A mix of herbs contribute to the freshness of the recipe, while the cranberries provide the perfect mix of sweet and tart. 

7. Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili

Perfect for soup season, this hearty vegetarian chili will fill you up on a cold winter night. Grilled corn kernels and homemade poblano cashew cream dress up the basic bowl for a festive dinner. Simple and fresh ingredients really make this a truly healthy butternut squash recipe.

8. 30-Minute Curried Butternut Squash Soup

This simple soup uses coconut milk to make it rich and creamy while keeping the ingredients vegan. Cinnamon also makes an appearance, adding to the warmness of the flavors. Toasted pumpkin seeds finish it off with a nice crunch.

9. Vegan Stuffed Butternut Squash Bowls

vegetable, meat, squash, pepper, sweet
Grace Becker

Using squash as a bowl is the best way to enjoy the vegetable without dealing with the hassle of peeling its skin. Kale adds a nutritional punch, while orange zest is a nice citrus surprise in this stuffed squash recipe

10. Rosemary and Thyme Butternut Squash Pasta

While this pasta recipe looks decadent, it's actually high-protein, low-fat, and vegan. Butternut squash makes the sauce creamy, nutritional yeast makes it cheesy, and chickpea flour pasta really packs in the protein punch.

11. Maple-Cinnamon Squash and Brussels Sprouts

Butternut squash can be substituted for acorn squash in this roasted veggies recipe to make this into a dessert-like side dish that still gives you a serving of green vegetables. Feel free to eliminate the bacon if you're vegetarian, because the pecans add a nice crunch. 

12. Butternut Squash with Garlic and Thyme

vegetable, parsley
Julia Maguire

Garlic lovers will go crazy this healthy butternut squash recipe. If you'd rather have whole pieces of squash, eliminate the mashing step. This recipe is also great for feeding crowds as a fresh tasting side dish.

13. Maple Bacon Butternut Squash Hash with Spinach

What could be more satisfying than topping this salty sweet breakfast hash with a fried egg? Apples make a nice addition and pair well with the maple syrup, so this squash hash recipe really makes a hearty breakfast full of flavor.

#SpoonTip: To make this recipe healthier, swap out the bacon Canadian bacon.

14. Butternut Squash Muffins

dena dianati

Falling into the category of zucchini bread and pumpkin muffins, these butternut squash muffins add a fresh take to your baked goods recipe collection. I recommend adding chocolate chips for something sweet or pecans for some extra protein. They're also delicious warmed with a spread of pumpkin butter.

15. Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash

This squash and Brussels sprout salad makes a filling main course or a substantial side dish. Loaded with pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, and tossed with a cinnamon-maple citrus dressing, it's sure to be a nutritious crowd pleaser.

16. Rosemary Squash Bread

Using unique ingredients like tahini and cassava flour, this bread is a gluten-free delight. Top with almond butter and honey for a sandwich or cold butter alongside a salad, this butternut squash bread recipe is a one-of-a-kind.

17. Coconut Yogurt Butternut Squash Bowl

This freestyle bowl uses a base of coconut yogurt and adds butternut squash for a twist. Nut butters are a great topping and granola adds a nice crunch, but this recipe lets you get as creative as you want. 

18. Squash Soup with Pistachio Gremolata 

Replace hubbard squash with butternut squash in this squash soup recipe. Gremolata adds both color and a nutty flavor, making this soup different than than any other butternut squash soup.

19. Butternut Squash with Pickled Onions

A simple side dish, this healthy butternut squash recipe requires only five ingredients. If you're not a fan of Greek yogurt or cashew cream, this recipes is just as delicious without the creamy topping.

20. Butternut Squash Soup with Fried Garlic and Chili Oil

There can never be too many versions of butternut squash soup. This butternut squash soup recipe is packed with flavor, thanks to the 10 garlic cloves in the soup. Chili oil also adds a nice kick to this sweet bowl of deliciousness.

21. Squash Fritters with Mint and Feta

These squash fritters are a dinner version of pancakes. They're also great for appetizers and leftovers are tasty crumbled on a salad. If you're not a fan of mint, feel free to use oregano or thyme as a substitute for the fresh herbs.

Whether you're vegan, vegetarian, or a meat eater, these healthy butternut squash recipes have something for everyone. Traditionally a fall staple, butternut squash can be used in sweet, spicy, and savory dishes and eaten at all times of the day.