Macarons are notoriously difficult to make, but with a few tips and tricks (and a few good recipes in your pocket) they actually become surprisingly manageable. Plus, once you can pull them off, you look both talented and classy.

The most difficult part is getting the top and bottom of the macaron to be similar sizes, which is made much easier by buying a silicone mat made specifically for making macarons. Of course, this won't work for elaborate schemes like the christmas tree down below, but it works perfectly for everything else.

If you're still having trouble, or you don't make macarons often enough for the mat to be worth it, here are some additional tips. After you've got those down, the only thing you need is a recipe. 

1. Salted Caramel Macarons

Salted caramel is my favourite flavour in everything, no matter what's being offered. The salt adds such a depth that it's practically irresistible. These macarons are no exception and are my favourite by far. I highly recommend. 

2. Raspberry Macarons

If you're having trouble, this recipe is a good one to start with. Fruity flavours always work well with macarons, and this particular link has a video tutorial to help you out. 

3. Eggnog Macarons

A perfect christmas recipe, these eggnog macarons melt in your mouth with the utmost delicacy. Although serving them with eggnog may be a bit of an overload, they will be enjoyed no matter what. 

4. Cookies and Cream Macarons

When I started making macarons for the family, my father immediately requested a cookies and cream one. Any box of Oreos will be gone in seconds no matter where you take it, and these Oreo inspired macarons are no different. 

5. Blueberry Macarons

Blueberries are very sweet and have a unique flavour which, while not as commonly seen in macarons, pairs quite well. The blue colour also acts as a lovely contrast for decorating. These are also great if you celebrate Hannukah. 

6. Peppermint Macarons

Another Christmas specialty, these peppermint macarons are wonderfully reminiscent of candy canes, while being infinitely classier. These never fair to impress, and I often bring them to Christmas parties. 

7. Cookie Dough Macarons

Eating cookie dough raw is every baker's secret pleasure, all wrapped up in one simple macaron recipe. The addition of the chocolate chips adds a playfulness that makes these perfect for kids...And most adults, to be completely honest. 

8. Pistachio Macarons

Out of the common macarons, pistachio are most often the favourite. When my friends and I were at a Disney park, we bought a few packs of macarons in Epcot. There was nearly a fistfight over the last pistachio macaron, before we all decided to gift it to the trip's chaperone as a sign of gratitude. It was the biggest sacrifice I ever made. 

9. Pumpkin Spice Macarons

Although the season for pumpkin spice is over, these macarons never go out of style. Although they may seem a little cliché, the flavour combination is actually wonderful. Even if you don't want to go out of season, you can always save these beauties for next fall. 

10. Red Velvet Macarons

The deep red of these red velvet macarons are perfect for Christmastime, especially when paired with pistachio macarons. As with most red velvet foods, there isn't much difference aside from the food colouring, but that's what makes them so perfect for celebrating.   

11. Banana Macarons

Bananas are one of the sweetest fruits, making their combination with the regular macaron recipe absolutely delightful. My favourite time of the year to make these is in summer, due to these macarons' sunny disposition. 

12. Gingerbread Macarons

Thinking of making a gingerbread house this winter? Why not make gingerbread macarons instead? Even better, you can make both and decorate your house with the macarons. 

13. Chocolate Peanut Butter Macarons

Chocolate and peanut butter is perhaps one of the most classic combinations out there. If you want your macarons to taste just like Reeses, this is the recipe for you. 

14. Mango Macarons

Aside from the great alliteration these macarons offer, they also give a great flavour. Mangos are by far my favourite fruit. These macarons capture their essence perfectly and are splendidly refreshing. 

15. Apple Pie Macarons

Apple pie is good at any time of the year, and the filling in these macarons satisfies any craving you might be having, while remaining bite-sized. I particularly like to serve these during Thanksgiving. 

16. Nutella Macarons

These aren't very different from chocolate macarons, besides the feeling which has a delightful Nutella flavour that makes all your chocolatey dreams come true. These macarons are proof that there is no such thing as too much chocolate. 

17. Strawberry Macarons

I've often seen these macarons used at girls' baby showers. Delicate and elegant, these are just as sweet as people hope their baby girls will be. Too bad there's no such thing as a child who isn't sometimes a handful, but sweets like these will always motivate your children to behave. 

18. Lavender Macarons

Lavender is a flower often used in aromatherapy for its calming properties, sometimes even going so far as to treat depression. Luckily for us, these taste even better than they smell, which is saying a lot.

19. Cherry Macarons

Although chocolate and strawberries are a more common combination, chocolate with cherries is just as amazing a combination. The chocolate filling on these cherry macarons turns that treat inside out, leaving us with a whole new sensation. 

20. Orange Blossom Macarons

Anyone who knows me understands that I cannot stand oranges. However, when put into some desserts, they suddenly become one of the yummiest flavours around. These macarons are no exception to that rule. Plus, their bright colours are exceptionally eye catching. 

Perhaps one of my favourite parts of macaron-making is decorating them. Whether it's just a small garnish or decoration like many of the macarons above, or something as elaborate as the tree below, the possibilities are endless. Decorate as you please, you'd be surprised by how creative and festive macarons can become. 

If you aren't already hooked by all the beauty above, macarons have another bonus—they're naturally gluten-free because they're made with almond flour. Macarons are always impressive, no matter the flavour, and once you've had one, you'll never want to stop.