To be honest, I was a little put off by the thought of another microwavable mug cake. As the dessert-in-a-jar/mug trend swept the nation, I tried to create the perfect treat in a cup too, yet failed. Miserably. But because I was leaving for college and still needed to get my regular cake fix, I decided to look through online recipes again. And I found the perfect one: Magic Mug Cake.

This easy snack, originally created by Wendy Sondov of The Monday Box is the best mug cake I've ever tried. Not only that, but it's easy to share. This recipe has been well-loved by care package enthusiasts because the mix holds up in the mail, and can be made right in a dorm room microwave. So send some to your best friend for their birthday, or just treat yourself after you've aced that chemistry exam.
GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Magic Mug Cake

• Cook Time:1 min

• 1 box cake mix , angel food
  • 1 box cake mix , any flavor
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 gallon-sized plastic bag or jar
  • Your favorite mug
  • Frosting , candy , sprinkles ( optional )
beer, coffee, milk
Liz Risko

Combine both cake mixes in a plastic bag. Be sure that one of your cake mixes is angel food, otherwise the cake won't rise.

Liz Risko

Once combined, put 3 tablespoons of mix into your mug. Seal up the bag and save the mix for another time.

ice
    Liz Risko

Add 2 tablespoons of water into your mug. Stir it up so that there's just cake batter in your cup, no more powdered mix.

chocolate, coffee, sweet, tea
    Liz Risko

Microwave for one minute. Seriously. That's it.

tea, coffee, sake, beer
    Photo by Liz Risko

This is what your mug cake should look like right out of the microwave. It should be spongy, not gooey. If it's gooey, place in the microwave for another 10 to 15 seconds.

coffee, chocolate, tea, espresso
    Liz Risko

Decorate that cake! I used frosting and candy, but whipped cream or peanut butter make for good toppings too.

candy, chocolate, sweet, milk
    Liz Risko

And there you have it, a gloriously magic mug cake that can easily be prepared in your dorm room. Share this goodness with your friends, or keep the secret to yourself and make people believe you really do belong at Hogwarts. Hagrid would be proud.