As Thanksgiving break approaches, it’s hard to find a simple way to tackle the dozens of Facebook event invitations (as if Reading Week lasts a year), travel plans and the haunting of unfinished homework. One of the most annoying parts about Thanksgiving and winter break, however, is the battle between holiday parties and the need to use up everything in your fridge before rushing off to O’hare. It might be tempting to try and impress your friends with ambitious recipe for a holiday party, but why not try this easy applesauce for a dorm potluck or family gathering? You just need a dozen apples and cinnamon, meaning you won’t need to scour Pinterest for what to do with leftovers. Also, with no added sugar, it’s a healthy addition to the season of treat yo’ self. Lastly, if you’re celebrating Thanksgivukkah this year, this applesauce is a seasonal and traditional way to complement potato latkes.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

Servings: 12

12 apples, rinsed and dried
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 ½ cups water

1. Cut and core apples, and chop into about 1-inch pieces.

applesauce

Photo by Kendra Valkema

applesauce

Photo by Kendra Valkema

2. Add apples, water and cinnamon to a large soup pot. Cook over medium-low heat until apples are mushy and water is incorporated into applesauce, about 45 minutes.
3. Turn off heat. Use a potato masher to roughly mash apples into a chunky applesauce. You can also use a mixer (which will create an even chunkier sauce) or a food processor or blender (both of which will create a smoother sauce).
4. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately, or store in the fridge for up to a week.

applesauce

Photo by Kendra Valkema