When I create a smoothie bowl, I always consider two things: flavor and aesthetic. This Berry Banana Smoothie Bowl captures the best of both. By blending each fruit separately, the flavors stay more distinct, allowing you to get bursts of banana or blueberry interspersed with the strawberry base. The separate components also allow you to create a beautiful swirled splatter paint affect with three vibrant and contrasting colors.

I love using canned light coconut milk because it creates a creamier taste than other non-dairy liquids, but it isn’t overwhelmingly heavy or coconut-y. My preferred sweetener is almost always maple syrup (I could literally drink that stuff plain), but feel free to substitute your own favorite sweetener into this recipe.

If you want to ensure you get the swirled splatter paint pattern, it’s important to create consistent thicknesses between your strawberry, banana, and blueberry components. Different consistencies will cause one layer to sink, float, or blend instead of dotting into the preceding layer, so try and stick to the given fruit-to-liquid ratios.

Getting it just right may take practice, but perfecting this smoothie bowl is insanely satisfying. You’ll feel like Jackson Pollock splattering paint on a bare canvas, except you’ll get to eat your creation. Art and eating—I can’t think of a better combination.

Berry Banana Smoothie Bowl

• 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup frozen banana slices
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 cup canned light coconut milk divided
  • 3 teaspoons maple syrup divided
Leah Valenti

Add frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup canned light coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon maple syrup to your blender. Blend until smooth.

Pour into a bowl and refrigerate while you prepare the second smoothie component.

Add frozen bananas, 1/4 cup of the canned light coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon of the maple syrup to your blender. Blend until smooth.

Pour into the bowl, moving your arm around as you pour to create a splatter pattern in the strawberry base. Refrigerate again while you prepare the final smoothie component.

Add frozen blueberries, the final 1/4 cup of the canned light coconut milk, and the final 1 teaspoon of the maple syrup to your blender. Blend until smooth.

Pour into the bowl, again moving your arm around as you pour to create the splatter pattern.

Take a chopstick or similar thin utensil and move it in an s-pattern throughout the smoothie bowl to create a swirly look.

Enjoy with a spoon!

raspberry, cream, blueberry
    Leah Valenti